Tortoise/Turtle Research Paper

Sara G.

Location (City and/or State)
Long Island, New York
Hello hello!

I wasn't entirely sure if this is the right spot to post this or not but I figured I'd give it a go (sorry if this isn't the best place for it!).
I'm a senior in college (English major) right now and I'm going to be writing a 20-30 page research paper (commence the groaning:rolleyes:) however I decided that instead of doing literary analysis I'd write the paper on something that I'm very passionate about. That's right tortoises and turtles.
My goal is to write about the importation (illegal/legal) of WC tortoise & turtle species into the US for pets and how that's harming the environment (both where the animals came from and where they're going to (especially in the case of RES's that have caused problems when released)) and causing the death of many animals because of sickness, poor shipping procedures, etc.
So, I've come to you guys for a little bit of help. If you don't mind, of course.
If anyone has any scholarly articles/regular articles/pictures that you know of that talk about this topic that would be the greatest help in the world!
Also if anyone has any tips on a good thesis that'd be super dandy too. ;)

Thank you!!!! :D

Cheryl Hills

5 Year Member
Youngstown, Ohio
Have you checked the tortoise and turtle article section? You might be able to find some info there. Maybe that's a start. I am sure some else will guide to to other areas or threads.
Good luck

Sara G.

Long Island, New York
Have you checked the tortoise and turtle article section? You might be able to find some info there. Maybe that's a start. I am sure some else will guide to to other areas or threads.
Good luck

That's true! I've yet to scour through there. But it's on my list. Thanks! :)

Grandpa Turtle 144

5 Year Member
You have chosen a great topic . And I hope you will post it where we can read it . I would love to read it , I'm betting so would many others would also read it . Good luck

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
One thing popped into my mind. Do a little research on African tortoises, which are no longer able to be imported here because of some sort of deer tick.

Sara G.

Long Island, New York
One thing popped into my mind. Do a little research on African tortoises, which are no longer able to be imported here because of some sort of deer tick.

Ooh! Good idea, I haven't heard about that. But I'll definitely look into it. Thanks!

Sara G.

Long Island, New York
You have chosen a great topic . And I hope you will post it where we can read it . I would love to read it , I'm betting so would many others would also read it . Good luck

Absolutely! Once it's done and looked over, I'll be sure to post it here. It'll be disastrously long though. :confused:

Kapidolo Farms

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
South of Southern California, but not Mexico
Herp Digest an online free newsletter published by Allen Salzberg will be a good single source for an overwhelming amount on this topic. Allens in NYC.

"Traffic" a part of some other larger NGO does more or less nothing else than collect 'traffic' stats on all kinds of wildlife flora and fauna.

Keep in mind all these sources have an agenda and numbers are tainted to meet the need of what they are selling. They are all selling something.

For example one NGO claims to be the first breeder outside of Madagascar for Plowshare tortoises since 1978?? or so, that is not entirely true as they are bred somewhat regularly by some folks here on TFO, well outside of Madagascar. But it endears donors, so they are sorta telling a mixed truth/falsehood as they don't clarify their entire meaning in the statement.

"Stolen" and "Lizard King" are two books that talk about some aspects of the illegal trade.

Sara G.

Long Island, New York
Herp Digest an online free newsletter published by Allen Salzberg will be a good single source for an overwhelming amount on this topic. Allens in NYC.

"Traffic" a part of some other larger NGO does more or less nothing else than collect 'traffic' stats on all kinds of wildlife flora and fauna.

Keep in mind all these sources have an agenda and numbers are tainted to meet the need of what they are selling. They are all selling something.

For example one NGO claims to be the first breeder outside of Madagascar for Plowshare tortoises since 1978?? or so, that is not entirely true as they are bred somewhat regularly by some folks here on TFO, well outside of Madagascar. But it endears donors, so they are sorta telling a mixed truth/falsehood as they don't clarify their entire meaning in the statement.

"Stolen" and "Lizard King" are two books that talk about some aspects of the illegal trade.

Okay, that's super helpful actually. Thank you! I'll take a look at those two books too.