Tortoise Tried to Kill Me

TriciaStringer

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Louisiana
Well, my husband thinks the tortoise tried to cause my demise, but it was really my clumsiness.
Yesterday I had put our almost 2yo sulcata outside in her enclosure before putting out her food. I usually have it waiting. She went to find it and when her stone was empty she went to her favorite grassy hiding spot to sulk. I went inside to put everything together and then put it out. I went to check on her later and she hadn’t gone to eat so I decided to pick her up and put her in front of it to let her know it had arrived. I leaned over her fence and picked her up, stepped over with one foot, but didn’t step high enough with the other and was sent tumbling. I was so worried she would get hurt, so I arched my back and raised my arms to keep her from hitting the ground. My lower back made a horrible and painful cracking sound and I landed full force on my chest. She did go flying when my upper arms hit the ground. She rolled across the grass. I turned my head to make sure she landed on her stomach. She did. I laid there to wait for the pain to subside and rolled onto my back to rest. Nobody witnessed this. My best friend was sitting at the bar drinking coffee and had no idea I was just laying on the ground. By the time bedtime arrived, I was hopped up on muscle relaxers that expired over a year ago. Feeling better today though. I will tell you, I do some pretty high steps over her fence now.
Tibby was prettty pissed at me the rest of the day but still managed to eat.

TriciaStringer

5 Year Member
Louisiana
Glad your both okay. I'm thinking you might want too work in a gate.
I have one but it is really just for the lawnmower right now and when she gets too heavy to pick up. She is headed to four pounds. It is soooo not high.

Attachments

• A3F4404A-AE64-43A6-8E86-C4C7BDF7B00C.jpeg
    A3F4404A-AE64-43A6-8E86-C4C7BDF7B00C.jpeg
    3 MB · Views: 61

LaLaP

5 Year Member
Portland, OR
You have great motherly instincts! I have 2 friends who have had similar falls with their small child in their arms and both automatically saved the baby at the peril of their own bodies. You join the ranks of hero mom's!