Tortoise tipping water

Airkinn

Location (City and/or State)
Scotland
My Hermanns, Ravi has recently started crawling under his water dish. In doing so, he completely empties it. He then carries it on his back to sit underneath it by his light.

I have no idea why he is doing this, can anyone help?
He has never done this and we haven’t changed anything about how we keep him.

Cicitina

Ontario, Canada
My Hermanns, Ravi has recently started crawling under his water dish. In doing so, he completely empties it. He then carries it on his back to sit underneath it by his light.

I don’t have any advice or suggestions, I just really like the visual of him carrying his water dish around on his back ? best of luck with this. I’d love to see photos

Airkinn

Scotland
I don’t have any advice or suggestions, I just really like the visual of him carrying his water dish around on his back ? best of luck with this. I’d love to see photos

I have absolutely no idea, it is quite funny though but I’m slightly worried he may do it when I’m not around and can’t fill his bowl again?I’ll be sure to reply with pictures when I catch him in the act!!

Jan A

Boulder, CO

The concept of "umbrella" cones to mind, but.....

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA

Sounds like he's not happy with the hiding places you've provided for him. Tortoises rarely live out in the wide open spaces. They shelter under bushes, behind rocks, in caves. If you provide the correct type of hiding places for him he'll leave the water dish alone.

Airkinn

Scotland
Sounds like he's not happy with the hiding places you've provided for him. Tortoises rarely live out in the wide open spaces. They shelter under bushes, behind rocks, in caves. If you provide the correct type of hiding places for him he'll leave the water dish alone.
He has plenty, but I’ll try to rearrange and change things out for new ones, thank you! Hopefully it works :)

ZEROPILOT

REDFOOT WRANGLER
Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
South Eastern Florida (U.S.A.)/Rock Hill S.C.
He has plenty, but I’ll try to rearrange and change things out for new ones, thank you! Hopefully it works :)
What the enclosure ends up looking like might not be what you had in mind.
Try to accommodate the tortoise.
Have you tried sideways, half buried flower pots?
It's an effective and inexpensive way to make small tortoises feel safe.
They hide inside.