Tortoise theft...sad article

Status
Not open for further replies.

loogielv

5 Year Member
what the hell would you do with a $50,000 turtle? I would take care of it like a $100 turtle. (or i guess take care of my $100 like it's worth $50k)
I bet many of us wouldn't even sell their $100 turtle for $50k.
Just stupid. Stealing a tortoise just because it's worth so rare certainly means its not going to be cared for properly. Well maybe not. Maybe the thief is passionate. I hope anyway

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Clovis, CA
loogielv said:
what the hell would you do with a $50,000 turtle? I would take care of it like a $100 turtle. (or i guess take care of my $100 like it's worth $50k)
I bet many of us wouldn't even sell their $100 turtle for $50k.
Just stupid. Stealing a tortoise just because it's worth so rare certainly means its not going to be cared for properly. Well maybe not. Maybe the thief is passionate. I hope anyway

To re-sell it, of course! They figure to make a quick buck.

Yvonne

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Laura said:
Can you and do places.. Microchip thier specimens??
Might prevent some theft..

I have thought that micro-chipping a turtle or tortoise was in the infant stages of development, however last Monday on Philadelphia Animal Police they rescued two very small snapping turtles...about a year or 2 old...and they micro-chipped each of them.

So to answer your question, yes they can and they do! I'm still a bit leary of it because the needle is SO-O-O large.

Yvonne

tortoisenerd

5 Year Member
Washington
If I had my tort outside I'd seriously consider microchipping him or attaching info when he got big enough...some torts have a tendency to escape! He's worth more to me than any dollar amount...think of him as our baby.

Status
Not open for further replies.