Tortoise theft in Lodi, CA

Status
Not open for further replies.

dmarcus

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Las Vegas, NV
So happy the owner had good camera's in the store, they will get caught because there pictures will be everywhere..

SILVERSTAR

5 Year Member
sacramento california
I SAW THIS ON THE NEWS THIS MORNING AND I WAS WONDERING IF ID SEE IT ON HERE,i saw a little clip of an interveiw wit the owner an he was jus worried that they didnt know how to properly care for it.

jensgotfaith

5 Year Member
Rocklin, CA
Well, if they know what's good for them and actually have an inkling of care for the reptiles they stole, they will. One can only hope.

dmmj

The member formerly known as captain awesome
10 Year Member!
CA
I don't mean to nit pick but does 600 seem a little high for those animals, maybe they said that to make the charges a felony, instead of a misdemeanor. Of course I think most of us who have turtles and tortoises as well as other reptiles are worried about this happening to us.

mctlong

5 Year Member
SF Valley, SoCal
I agree, any kind of theft is wrong.

Its strange that they chose to steal species that are generally not expensive. I'm thinking either:

A.) They don't know much about reptiles and/or the monetary value of different species
or
B.) They're animal rights activists and are stealing the animals to release them.

Either way, bad news for the animals.

DesertGrandma

10 Year Member!
Arizona
Or they (or their kids) just wanted them and couldn't afford to buy them. If so they have no idea what it costs to take care of them.

mctlong said:

Its strange that they chose to steal species that are generally not expensive. I'm thinking either:

A.) They don't know much about reptiles and/or the monetary value of different species
or
B.) They're animal rights activists and are stealing the animals to release them.

It is great that they had cameras and will catch the thieves.

Laura

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Foothills above Sacramento CA
maybe they should lock the tanks/enclosures.. hope they get returned... but will probably be left on a doorstep...

tortoises101

5 Year Member
Ontario, Canada
Laura said:
maybe they should lock the tanks/enclosures.. hope they get returned... but will probably be left on a doorstep...

Well, one can only hope that the animals get returned. I haven't heard a lot of cases of animals being returned to their original owners unless the theives are caught by police.

Stephanie

5 Year Member
Southern California
dmmj said:
I don't mean to nit pick but does 600 seem a little high for those animals, maybe they said that to make the charges a felony, instead of a misdemeanor.

I wonder what type of lizard they lifted. Also, what was the other tortoise? I know the news clip said one Russian tort, easily $100 (maybe more if they were babies, but it didn't look like a baby...), but I'm with you in wondering where the other $500 came from. Either way, I'm glad the guy said $600 because that not only makes it a felony, it makes it a priority with the police department.

Laura said:

My thoughts exactly on the enclosures and how they will be found.

I don't think these women are animal rights activists, either. I think they just couldn't afford his prices and wanted the animals/wanted easy cash for them.

I bet if they don't leave them on the doorstep, they'll try to sell them on Craigslist. I'm sure the owner is looking through all the ads (local and perhaps otherwise) for tortoises/lizards/etc.
These women are definitely not the brightest bulbs in the box. With a camera system like that? Shoot, I don't even live in that area, but if I went out there and saw them, I'd definitely be able to spot them.

I also like how the owner mentioned he's worried they do not know how to properly care for them. He seems like a nice guy (if only for the cameras).

Fernando

10 Year Member!
Southern California
DesertGrandma said:
Or they (or their kids) just wanted them and couldn't afford to buy them. If so they have no idea what it costs to take care of them.

mctlong said:

or

It is great that they had cameras and will catch the thieves.

I'm glad they/their kids didn't want a car! :p

moochie

5 Year Member
When I bought my first sulcata here in Phoenix, the breeder and I met in a place away from his home as a "matter of security." I thought this odd at the time and felt the exchange in the parking lot was like a drug deal but now I understand a little better. These torts represent a big investment for breeders and there's unfortunately always someone around willing to rip you off!

Watermelon

5 Year Member
The local reptile store near me the vivariums are all locked.... its a rubbish reptile store anyway... dont know how to look after their tortoises.....

Hope these thieves are caught, at least they were caught on camara.

River14

5 Year Member
Moochie that sounds horribly suspicious. The seller should have a secluded reception area and proper security.

Far as I can see that tortoise looked too small and young to steal or be sold. What are the state laws on size and age?

jbean7916

5 Year Member
"never had the intent to steal"????? What other intent is there when you are putting LIVE ANIMALS in your purse????

Status
Not open for further replies.