Tortoise table made from wood, fiberglass and zoopoxy for a sulcata

Status
Not open for further replies.

iansilv

5 Year Member
Hello everyone,

I need to build an indoor tortoise table for my Sulcata until we can safely put him outside. My plans are this:

4 by 8 or 3 by 7 plywood base with 16" walls.

Inside layered with fiberglass- cloth backing up resin.

After a through drying and curing period, zoopoxy paint to double coat it.

I want to give him a raised platform in the middle to climb up and look over the edges of the tub and to bask.

I am prepping the wood and hardware purchase, just wanted to run the idea by everyone here, I figure I would get some good opinions. My reason for fiberglass and zoopoxy is that I want the enclosure to be waterproof so I will not have to worry about water spilling and rotting the wood, and so I can easily wipe it out. Plus, I may use it for something else later.

Thoughts or opinions anyone?

Thank you.

iluvtorts

5 Year Member
iansilv said:
Hello everyone,

I need to build an indoor tortoise table for my Sulcata until we can safely put him outside. My plans are this:

4 by 8 or 3 by 7 plywood base with 16" walls.

Inside layered with fiberglass- cloth backing up resin.

After a through drying and curing period, zoopoxy paint to double coat it.

I want to give him a raised platform in the middle to climb up and look over the edges of the tub and to bask.

I am prepping the wood and hardware purchase, just wanted to run the idea by everyone here, I figure I would get some good opinions. My reason for fiberglass and zoopoxy is that I want the enclosure to be waterproof so I will not have to worry about water spilling and rotting the wood, and so I can easily wipe it out. Plus, I may use it for something else later.

Thoughts or opinions anyone?

Thank you.

At Home Depot or Lowes you can buy a sheet material used in public restrooms for walls. It is 4x8 sheets. It has a textured finish so its not slick. It is a material like a plastic fiberglass. I have used it for years it even stands up to my large sulcatas in their house both on the walls and the floor. You can glue it with liquid nail, cuts with a utility knife , and is completely waterproof. I seal corners with clear silicon. It also cleans easily and is easy to kill germs on.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Sounds good. Except I don't really know what zoo proxy is or cloth backing up resin is? Just a plastic liner, would work or the suggestion already made. Might be cheaper and faster. However, if your stuff your using is not toxic, once it's curd, then sounds great. Don't forget pics when it's finished.

Status
Not open for further replies.