Tortoise swallowed piece of sponge. Help!?!

Frogg.Queen

Location (City and/or State)
Oahu, HI
I was letting my tortoise roam my lawn to get exercise and feed on the grass, but while I wasn't looking she approached an old swiffer(?) mop that has sponge on its base... (does that make sense??)
Anyway, she bit a tiny piece of it off since it was green. She didn't eat a whole lot, but I'm worried if the sponge may make her sick, or if any possible germs on it will harm her.
Just thinking about it is actually making me really worried ;-;
ImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1501642921.348189.jpg
Here's the bottom of the swiffer-mop thing.
I got the swiffer at a yard sale a few months ago, and haven't used it at all...
ImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1501642982.588748.jpg
Will she be okay?? :,,(

Frogg.Queen

Oahu, HI
What kind of chemicals were used on the swiffer sponge?
I have no idea, I've never used the swiffer, and I got it at a garage sale... it's really old so it may have not been used for a long while before I got it either, but I'm not sure... :,(

Stamford, CT, USA
I wouldn't worry yet, but keep a close eye on him and see if he is acting any different. I don't know about any chemicals on sweiffers besides the pads at the bottom, not the sponge. Just monitor him and if he acts up then I would take him to the vet.

Frogg.Queen

Oahu, HI
So far it's been an hour and she hasn't shown any signs of sickness... while watching her I was searching through the web on how I can get the sponge out of her...
I found two ways, one was to feed her pumpkin as a laxative to have her eventually poop it out, the other is to give her a small amount of hydrogen peroxide in some food or water to make her throw up the sponge within a few minutes...
I know there would be no harm in feeding her pumpkin, but what about the hydrogen peroxide? Would it be safe to give her a small amount to have her throw up? This method is used on dogs and cats for when they eat harmful substances, would it be okay for my tortoise??

Bee62

Germany
So far it's been an hour and she hasn't shown any signs of sickness... while watching her I was searching through the web on how I can get the sponge out of her...
I found two ways, one was to feed her pumpkin as a laxative to have her eventually poop it out, the other is to give her a small amount of hydrogen peroxide in some food or water to make her throw up the sponge within a few minutes...
I know there would be no harm in feeding her pumpkin, but what about the hydrogen peroxide? Would it be safe to give her a small amount to have her throw up? This method is used on dogs and cats for when they eat harmful substances, would it be okay for my tortoise??

Wait as @ZEROPILOT also already said. The pieces of the sponge will pass the intestine normally and will be pooped out.
I am sure.

Maitaimommy

Agree! Please don't use the hydrogen peroxide! I understand your concern as I would feel the same. The pumpkin is a safe alternative and you'll feel like you're helping her along:)
I think she'll pass it soon enough:)

Pearly

5 Year Member
Central Texas, Austin area
Just soak, soak, soak her! Help her kidneys flush out whatever may have been in that sponge. As for the sponge itself, if it was indeed very small piece, I think she'll either break it down in her stomach and pass it or pass it whole if sponge was synthetic, in which case you might want to feed her more cactus, or better yet, aloe, also finely chop up some fresh cucumber and mix in with her food for added water. I think she'll be ok

Last edited: