Tortoise Supply Testudo Mix Alternative

el_ote

5 Year Member
hello. i just put an order in and would appreciate any tips on growing these that anyone has found. i can kill a succulent would be my background in gardening. i live in California, bay area. i will eventually add a base layer of organic soil to my enclosure to grow the plants in but i assume i can grow them indoors in a tray or outdoors if you all think California weather is ok for it. thanks!

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Southern California
hello. i just put an order in and would appreciate any tips on growing these that anyone has found. i can kill a succulent would be my background in gardening. i live in California, bay area. i will eventually add a base layer of organic soil to my enclosure to grow the plants in but i assume i can grow them indoors in a tray or outdoors if you all think California weather is ok for it. thanks!

I sprinkle my seeds over a freshly tilled area of good soil and then sprinkle a quarter to half inch of soil over the seeds. Its critical that the seeds don't dry out during early germination or growth. I grow mine outside and its very dry here, so I have to water lightly several times a day. Outside of summer, or once the plants are established, I only water as needed. Sometimes thats once a week in winter. Or not at all if it rains. For harvest, I get a bucket and scissors and cut off handfuls up one side and down the other. Since most of mine are grass eaters, I cut grass into the bucket too and mix it all up. If you just have a single tortoise, you can cut up enough to fill a spring mix tub and save it in your fridge.

PixelAdams

Chicago
I just ordered some of this. (Shipping did seem a bit high, but I understand the reasoning.)

My question is, can I grow this inside in winter. I have a pot in a sunny window all ready to go, just not sure if they will sprout now or should I wait till spring? Also, if I sprinkle some in my tortoise tank, will they make it or will the tort eat them as they sprout?

Yellow Turtle01

5 Year Member
OH, USA
I just ordered some of this. (Shipping did seem a bit high, but I understand the reasoning.)

My question is, can I grow this inside in winter. I have a pot in a sunny window all ready to go, just not sure if they will sprout now or should I wait till spring? Also, if I sprinkle some in my tortoise tank, will they make it or will the tort eat them as they sprout?
It's winter here, and while I (accidentally, of course:oops: )killed them off a while ago, they were doing great in the window for a while! Think my issue was picking the sprouts too early, I wasn't letting the plants grow :p
I would grow them separately, or black them off until they reach a 'reasonable' size.

Ariza

5 Year Member
Tucson, AZ
I just ordered my mix today. Shipping came to $11, but I also ordered 4lbs of the spineless cactus pads. Can't wait to try this mix, it looks gorgeous in the poster's pics, including Tom's.