Tortoise stuck on back - desperate for an help

Tortoiselady55

Location (City and/or State)
Portsmouth
Hi, I'm hoping for help as I am out of ideas.

I have a 13yr old tortoise. She spends a lot of time in the garden when it is warm enough but I keep finding her on her back. She has a slightly flat shell so she cannot roll herself back over. I am getting quite worried, especially with the heat and desperately need some advice.

Has anyone come across this or have any ideas on what I can possibly do to help her? I want her to have the freedom of the garden but am at a loss as to what I can do, maybe there are some devices or other ingenious methods for helping?

Any help greatly appreciated!

Thanks?

Jan A

Boulder, CO
Hi, I'm hoping for help as I am out of ideas.

I have a 13yr old tortoise. She spends a lot of time in the garden when it is warm enough but I keep finding her on her back. She has a slightly flat shell so she cannot roll herself back over. I am getting quite worried, especially with the heat and desperately need some advice.

Has anyone come across this or have any ideas on what I can possibly do to help her? I want her to have the freedom of the garden but am at a loss as to what I can do, maybe there are some devices or other ingenious methods for helping?

Any help greatly appreciated!

Thanks?
Welcome to the forum. More information & photos would be helpful. What species is your tort? How big is your garden & is it enclosed? What is in your garden that your tort is climbing & is there a wall it is trying to crawl over? Like I say, more info would be helpful.

Tortoiselady55

Portsmouth
Welcome to the forum. More information & photos would be helpful. What species is your tort? How big is your garden & is it enclosed? What is in your garden that your tort is climbing & is there a wall it is trying to crawl over? Like I say, more info would be helpful.
Hi

Thanks for replying!

She is a spurthighed.

She doesn't have an enclosure - she has the whole garden (about 30ft). Admittedly there are walls and lots of the toys for the grandkids but I do like her to have the freedom to adventure and apart from the tipping over it's a safe garden. She also seems to be a climber so not sure an enclosure would eliminate the problem.

Have attached a picture of her. Her shell is not complete flat but enough to stop her rolling herald back over.

Thanks again.

Attachments

• DSC_0906.JPG
    DSC_0906.JPG
    2.2 MB · Views: 67

zolasmum

5 Year Member
Hi

Thanks for replying!

She is a spurthighed.

She doesn't have an enclosure - she has the whole garden (about 30ft). Admittedly there are walls and lots of the toys for the grandkids but I do like her to have the freedom to adventure and apart from the tipping over it's a safe garden. She also seems to be a climber so not sure an enclosure would eliminate the problem.

Have attached a picture of her. Her shell is not complete flat but enough to stop her rolling herald back over.

Thanks again
I wonder if there is anything that could be temporarily fixed to her back, that would help her to roll back over - maybe something like a fairly deep plastic lid that could be fastened round her body with micropore tape, if that would stick on her shell without damaging it ? Maybe shaping the lid to her body to fit.
Welcome from Angie from Devon

Tortoiselady55

Portsmouth
I wonder if there is anything that could be temporarily fixed to her back, that would help her to roll back over - maybe something like a fairly deep plastic lid that could be fastened round her body with micropore tape, if that would stick on her shell without damaging it ? Maybe shaping the lid to her body to fit.
Hi Angie

Thanks for taking the time to reply.

I did think about this but didn't want to damage her shell but using something sticky I shouldn't have - not heard of micropore, will defo look into it. Just so hard to find info on tortoises.

That gives me an idea ! ?

TeamZissou

Albuquerque, NM
Tortoises tend to freak out if they are in a wide open space because they feel exposed and vulnerable. She is most likely trying to climb to get out of the exposed area. Do you have a any bushes, tall grasses, or other things to hide under? If not, adding some would likely help her calm down and feel more secure.

The problem is not that she can't flip back, it's that she is flipping in the first place. The moderate pyramiding she has on the carapace isn't the problem.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
She really needs an area of her own in the garden without humans, dogs, kids, kids toys in her space. That is what would be best for her.
Section off half and dedicate it just to her. Be sure she can't see out thru what you use yo section it off. Give her bushes to hind under but not near the fence line. Most, if not all tortoise, walk the fence line.
Attaching something to her shell is not the solution. A portion of the garden done properly dedicated to her and only her is the solution.
Something attached to her back is a final resort if the proper enclosure doesn't work.

zolasmum

5 Year Member
Micropore is a medical surgical tape used for sticking things on to human skin, which allows it to breathe and doesn't usually leave a sticky residue - I wasn't suggesting this as a permanent solution, just to help while the weather is so hot. Then you can be thinking of a better arrangement.
By the way, you didn't mention her name ?
Angie

Tortoiselady55

Portsmouth
Micropore is a medical surgical tape used for sticking things on to human skin, which allows it to breathe and doesn't usually leave a sticky residue - I wasn't suggesting this as a permanent solution, just to help while the weather is so hot. Then you can be thinking of a better arrangement.
By the way, you didn't mention her name ?
Angie
Ah I see. Yes it would only be a temporary solution. Fortunately it is only an issue when i am out and so can monitor her when I am home. This does confirm what I already suspected that an enclosure may be the only option long-term.

Really appreciate the input though.

Her name is Mrs T ?

Tortoiselady55

Portsmouth
She really needs an area of her own in the garden without humans, dogs, kids, kids toys in her space. That is what would be best for her.
Section off half and dedicate it just to her. Be sure she can't see out thru what you use yo section it off. Give her bushes to hind under but not near the fence line. Most, if not all tortoise, walk the fence line.
Attaching something to her shell is not the solution. A portion of the garden done properly dedicated to her and only her is the solution.
Something attached to her back is a final resort if the proper enclosure doesn't work.
I did suspect that this really is the only option long term. It's just so hard to find advice about tortoises so thought I might be missing something simple, but this has confirmed it.

Really appreciate the reply! I can get working on some plans for her ?

Maro2Bear

5 Year Member
Glenn Dale, Maryland, USA
There must be some object nearby when you find torty tipped over. Try to remove all these objects that are enabling tipping. Do you have a hide someplace for torty to get out of the sun? Tape a big round ball on top for a few days. ?‍♂️

tortoisenana

5 Year Member
San Antonio, Texas
I can attest to them walking the fence line. I have a 40 lb sulcata that spends alot of time marching around his perimeter. I call him 'Sargent'.