TORTOISE STRESS. ARE THEY REALLY THAT FRAGILE

mproko

One thing I felt that wasn't brought up here was exposure to young children not taught how to handle/respect them.

The other thing I've felt is consistency. If you do the same stuff every time with the animal it may get used to it. I have 2 sub year old hermanns and they aren't phased by anything I do. I can hold them on their sides to toothbrush the poop off underneath without problem. I'm relatively new to tortoises but even with my aquatics I can tell if I haven't been handling them regularly. In the summer I frequently take my red ear painted and yellow belly out in the grass (almost daily) to get some real sunlight. In the winter they are much more annoyed when I handle them as it is moreso only to clean the enclosure.

Big Charlie

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
California
One thing I felt that wasn't brought up here was exposure to young children not taught how to handle/respect them.

The other thing I've felt is consistency. If you do the same stuff every time with the animal it may get used to it. I have 2 sub year old hermanns and they aren't phased by anything I do. I can hold them on their sides to toothbrush the poop off underneath without problem. I'm relatively new to tortoises but even with my aquatics I can tell if I haven't been handling them regularly. In the summer I frequently take my red ear painted and yellow belly out in the grass (almost daily) to get some real sunlight. In the winter they are much more annoyed when I handle them as it is moreso only to clean the enclosure.
I've seen that too. Charlie is much shyer when he first starts walking around in the spring, after not being used to me since he sleeps most of the time during the winter. Now that we are in the middle of summer and he sees me everyday, he eagerly approaches me to get his hibiscus branches.

otisthetortoise

5 Year Member
I agree, for the most part. I don't think tortoises are fragile animals. They are as old as the dinosaurs! They are not built to be scared and vulnerable.
That being said, I don't think constant rough handling is the best thing, but even so that's probably just because I'm paranoid I'll hurt my little baby. You know mummas. :p
I don't think tortoises really get 'stressed' from human contact. I think they tolerate it just fine.
Olivia

Raymo2477

5 Year Member
Eastern, PA, USA
I am not a coddler with my torts. They're pretty tough.

I would say that they do stress with moves to new homes and recommend leaving torts alone for a few weeks while they settle in.

I have had babies die, but that was most likely due their initial husbandry. I bought some that were only a few days out of the egg and I would not do that again.

Travis

Wisconsin, USA
I agree. I dont really think they're that fragile or get stressed out easily. With hatchlings and those younger than a year or so, i'm fairly gentle with them. With ones that are older, I dont try to be gentle. Dont get me wrong, i'm not rough with them either.

When picking them up, i typically don't support their legs and will just grab them. I just put them down, not hard or anything but also not really gentle. Just a normal set down. Mine never go into their shells ever or display any sort of stress. I set them down and they're instantly running towards their food. If there's no food, they just usually kinda sit there for awhile out of their shell just hangin out.

Kasia

Poland
I read comments on various threads all the time about this or that may be stressing your tortoise.
What are your thoughts about it! Are they really that fragile?
I personally think not. I'm not fragile with my torts. I do what I need to do for them and I don't tip toe around them. When I pick them up, i just grab them, I don't support their legs. Sometimes I carry them side ways. When/if they flip over, I just flip them back. When I put them down, I just put them down. If I want to carry more then one at a time, I put two in a bag, used to do three in a bag. Sometimes I can't reach them to pick them up, so I grab under their shell and drag them over to me. I have never seen a single sign of stress. They don't stay tucked into their shells. They don't stop eating. They don't stay hidden in their hides. They act as normal as I know their normal to be. Like a tortoise. Oh, and I have not had one sick or die.
If they could be so easily stressed. Would they be able to survive as long as they have and do!
What's your opionion?
In my opinion they are smart enough to associate stress with other creatures and/or places. If you don't hurt them they don't associate anything bad with you so you handling and being around is not something stressful for them. My Rufin after 3 or 4 Vet visits started pooping in the basket witch I have used to carry him in to the visit. He never did that and previously I have used that basket a million times with him. He is really chilled and relaxed tort, never shy, didn't bother sleeping on my lap like a dog. I think that torts are dumb but not as dumb as most of people think. Stress is a signal of adding two plus two from them and in my opinion something very different from getting used to a new obstacle/situation.

pclare

NJ
I'm still relatively new to this forum, so I'll specify that my critters are boxies and pond turtles, not tortoises, so apologies if my view doesn't apply to tortoises specifically.

I've had most of my adults for 20+ years, and think nothing of grabbing, dragging, and digging (with fingers) them up out of their outdoor hidey holes this time of year when an unexpected cold snap occurs.

Many times I've come home late, realized the temps were going too low, and headed back out to the turtle pen with a flashlight and a five gallon bucket. I very unceremoniously transport 5 dirt-covered adult boxies and a Vietnamese pond turtle in the bucket together to no ill effect.

Are they clambering a bit? Sometimes. Fighting? No. The boxies could close up if they felt threatened, but don't, and I usually put the pond turtle on top because he's the largest (but not heavy), squirmiest, and would most object to being stepped on. These guys climb all over each other all the time. Next stop is a nice lukewarm soak in the bathtub (aka poopfest), a nice meal and then a relaxing time under a warming lamp. In other words, a trip to the spa for them, but leftovers for dinner for me!

On the other hand: I'm a teacher, and people say all the time that I should bring my turtles in to share with students. NOPE. I would never subject any animal to the deliberate poking and prodding of children simply for their own amusement under the guise of "education." That would fit my definition of "stressing" a turtle.

Mr Buster

Reno NV
The first time I heard Buster hiss I thought he was trying to "warn" me. Like when a rattlesnake rattles. I now recognize it as a scream of terror.

One thing I try to be conscious of is routine and technique. It would be easy for me to put the food in his habitat while he is soaking and then put him back in and let him just start eating. I believe it is better to put him in the cage and let him see me afterwards place the food in and maybe even place food in front of him with my hands so he can see it and associate my movements and hands not with just handling which he may not appreciate and might scare him, but also with food.

nancyfurst

5 Year Member
My tortoises follow me every time they see me, but I never pick them up, I only hold them to put them in the soaking bowl, but I don't really handle them, so that has helped me a lot I'm guessing, since the "run" to me as soon as they see me, so they associate me with food for them

Last edited: