Tortoise stays hidden in log and does not bask...help!

Truemanfoo

Location (City and/or State)
San Clemente, CA
Hi everyone, i need some help here please! He eats just fine, for the most part, and is pooping great, but he comes out in the morning to eat and goes right back into his log for the entire day and night until the next morning when i put more food in.
  • Got a Russian Tortoise about 3 weeks ago, we live in So Calif and he lives inside in a Tortoise house. He is about 4".
  • I don't turn on our air conditioning and we leave windows open all day, so the house is normally between 65-75 year round...in the winter the inside of our home gets to 60F at it's lowest.
  • Basking area sits around 97F.
  • Humidity around 57%
  • Coolest area of the enclosure is around 68F
  • Substrate is ReptiBark which i guess is Fir Bark.
  • I feed him all the right stuff, varying grocery store greens on the "ok" list and just ordered Grassland tortoise food to supplement (getting it in mail tomorrow). I sprinkle the calcium on his food 1-2x/week.
  • I was using a Zoomed Powersun bulb for both UVB and heat (100w) but it was defective and i am returning it. I purchased a 100w MegaRay Mercury Vapor Bulb and will arrive tomorrow. I have been keeping this lamp on for 12 hours during the day and turning everything off at night as the lowest my house gets at night is about 70F. In the winter, i might put a ceramic heat bulb on but that rarely happens to get that cold
  • I soak him in an outside tub a few days a week, for about 20 min in which case he poops, so he must be potty trained :)
  • I know there are mixed feelings on the Tortoise House but i live in a condo and this is our only option.
Honestly, i am racking my brain and feel like this is so much harder to figure out than I expected!

I never thought my creature would be this boring....we never see him as he is always hidden. Maybe he hates us :( Please advise, thanks! IMG_4252.jpg

ZEROPILOT

REDFOOT WRANGLER
Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
South Eastern Florida (U.S.A.)/Rock Hill S.C.
I don't keep Russian tortoises. So I can only respond to a few parts.
Tortoises only bask to bring up their body temperature.
If the temperature is already warm enough, I suppose basking isn't needed. And you wont see it.
However, if the animal is too cool, it also wont move around a lot because it is cold blooded.
What type of bulbs are in that dome fixture? The coiled type of compact UV bulb has been shown potentially harmful to tortoises eyes and its possible that your tortoise could be stressed about that. But I'm just theorizing here.
Russian tortoises stay small, but they require very large enclosures because they are generally very active and can cover a lot of ground. So this box is going to be way too small, unless your Russian is still very young.
I suggest that you read everything you can about Russian tortoise care here on the TFO and make sure that everything ELSE is correct.
A healthy Russian tortoise will be extremely active. So there is indeed an issue (or more than one)

Last edited:

Truemanfoo

San Clemente, CA
I don't keep Russian tortoises. So I can only respond to a few parts.
Tortoises only bask to bring up their body temperature.
If the temperature is already warm enough, I suppose basking isn't needed. And you wont see it.
However, if the animal is too cool, it also wont move around a lot because it is cold blooded.
What type of bulbs are in that dome fixture? The coiled type of compact UV bulb has been shown potentially harmful to tortoises eyes and its possible that your tortoise could be stressed about that. But I'm just theorizing here.
Russian tortoises stay small, but they require very large enclosures because they are generally very active and can cover a lot of ground. So this box is going to be way too small, unless your Russian is still very young.
I suggest that you read everything you can about Russian tortoise care here on the TFO and make sure that everything ELSE is correct.
A healthy Russian tortoise will be extremely active. So there is indeed an issue (or more than one)
thank you! As i mentioned, the only bulbs are a Mercury Vapor Bulb 70Watt so that takes care of everything as far as heat and UVB goes. I don't have any other option for housing, unfortunately.

Ben02

Brighton, Southcoast, UK
I would increase the soaks to everyday, it could be that the tortoise is still adjusting to its environment. A good appetite is a good sign.

TheTattooedTortoise

North Wales, UK
Ive read a lot and those mercury vapour bulbs aren't much cop, they differ in output so much from one to the next... too strong/not strong enough.
You'd be better off with a uv tube type light and a dedicated basking bulb.
I think 68f is a bit too cool for the cool side imo, I'd be aiming for 75f min.

Also at 4" he isn't a baby so could do with a lot more space to play with... Russians are known to be super active!
Not to sound harsh but I'd be miserable, bored and sleep all day if I was stuck in that little box!