Tortoise stares at landscape picture

Spikethetort

Location (City and/or State)
Albuquerque, NM
Hello, we have a Hermans Tort that is bout a little over a year old. currently he lives in a 50 gal tank but spends large parts of the day outside when weather permits. outside he has a very large lawn and rocky areas to himself where he burrows and has hidden from me for hours on end with me looking for him everywhere. his tank is very well maintained and heated with a log and a cool side, water dish, ect. we have about 6" of it covered all the way around so he cannot see out or stress. however recently i have noticed he climbs his log and stares at a landscape cling we have on one side of the tank for hours. has anyone else noticed this? should i remove the cling? it seems he just imagines himself walking around in the desert picture, but he does get out quite a bit during the week but given its winter he only has a few hours a day before temps fall below 40 degrees. please advise, thank you.

Oxalis

10 Year Member!
Michigan
I think this thread is in the wrong subforum.

Maro2Bear

5 Year Member
Glenn Dale, Maryland, USA
Hello, we have a Hermans Tort that is bout a little over a year old. currently he lives in a 50 gal tank but spends large parts of the day outside when weather permits. outside he has a very large lawn and rocky areas to himself where he burrows and has hidden from me for hours on end with me looking for him everywhere. his tank is very well maintained and heated with a log and a cool side, water dish, ect. we have about 6" of it covered all the way around so he cannot see out or stress. however recently i have noticed he climbs his log and stares at a landscape cling we have on one side of the tank for hours. has anyone else noticed this? should i remove the cling? it seems he just imagines himself walking around in the desert picture, but he does get out quite a bit during the week but given its winter he only has a few hours a day before temps fall below 40 degrees. please advise, thank you.

I pretty much doubt it is actually looking at the landscape image you have. Probably just found a good basking spot to hang out. Like our “sea scape” in our aquarium, I’m sure it’s for human pleasure, not the reptile or fish.

Good luck.....warm weather around the corner.