Tortoise skin tag/dry skin

AwwShucks

Location (City and/or State)
Santa Monica
So Munch has a piece of skin in his neck/shoulder area that is like a little rectangular bit that kinda hangs off, but isn't fully off. Is this something to worry about? I've noticed he has had increasing amounts of peeling/shedding little bits like this.
Screen Shot 2020-10-21 at 1.32.18 PM.png

Sarah2020

Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
London, UK
Reptiles shed skin. Do not pull it off it will drop naturally. As tortoise grow skin will drop and grow. Regular water baths in shallow warm water get rid of dead skin as well as cleaning the shell and legs.

crimson_lotus

10 Year Member!
Massachusetts
that looks like a rock lodged in there. are you sure it's attached? if it is, that's not a normal thing

Sarah2020

Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
London, UK
I see what you mean..... however there are lines similar to rest of skin. Suggest a bath to see if it drops out if a stone or if flaking skin leave it.

zovick

10 Year Member!
So Munch has a piece of skin in his neck/shoulder area that is like a little rectangular bit that kinda hangs off, but isn't fully off. Is this something to worry about? I've noticed he has had increasing amounts of peeling/shedding little bits like this.
View attachment 309507
Looks more like the end of a piece of wood than skin. It may be a piece of your substrate which has punctured the skin in that area and is acting like a large splinter. Try gently pulling on it with tweezers and see what happens.

OrbitRCDC

GA
Whatever happened with this? Mine has a very similar thing going on.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
This looks like a piece of substrate stuck in the crevice.