Tortoise Shopping Spreeeeee! HELP! :)

Jazenami

Hi all! Chompy was so happy today! I keep seeing him be so much more active than he used to be and it fills me with joy. :) He did this thing today where he stuck his neck out way far and was puffing his neck out a bunch. I've never seen him do that before with such gusto.
Anyway. I got my taxes back and before I lock it down in savings and go back to budgeting with an iron fist I'd like to have a little fun with it, and Chompy needs some upgrades. :)
Add to the list if you want!

1) Herbal tortoise hay
2) Broadleaf testudo mix
^ Both from tortoise supply
3) Zoomed lamp stand (so I feel safer about his heat lamp @_@ )
4) White heat/uva basking bulb (my socket says 150 watt max, but I used 150 watt once and it burnt out in like a month, I use 100 watt now)
5) Calcium with vitamin D3 reptile food (zoomed)
6) Zoomed dual thermometer/humidity gauge (is only $8.39!! willing to hear about different products for this)
7) Zoomed Natural tortoise food, grassland
^All from amazon

I'm so excited to grow Chompy his own food this spring :3
Anyway. Add to the list, tweak it. Whichever you like. :3

Also if anyone has good brands for a white basking light (preferable off amazon) that would be much appreciated!

Attachments

• 20140221_191812.jpg
    20140221_191812.jpg
    150.1 KB · Views: 137

BowDownBowser

Location (City and/or State)
Jacksonville, Florida
Jazenami said:
Hi all! Chompy was so happy today! I keep seeing him be so much more active than he used to be and it fills me with joy. :) He did this thing today where he stuck his neck out way far and was puffing his neck out a bunch. I've never seen him do that before with such gusto.
Anyway. I got my taxes back and before I lock it down in savings and go back to budgeting with an iron fist I'd like to have a little fun with it, and Chompy needs some upgrades. :)

1) Herbal tortoise hay
2) Broadleaf testudo mix
4) White heat/uva basking bulb (my socket says 150 watt max, but I used 150 watt once and it burnt out in like a month, I use 100 watt now)
6) Zoomed dual thermometer/humidity gauge (is only $8.39!! willing to hear about different products for this)
^All from amazon

Also if anyone has good brands for a white basking light (preferable off amazon) that would be much appreciated!

Sounds like fun. I just did the same thing a week ago when I got my return. As far as a white basking light you can go to lowes or home depot and pay $5 for a halogen or incandescent spot light that will work just the same as any zoomed or zilla reptile basking light, but for half the price. I'm sure you can find it on amazon as well. I saw at walmart a pack of four for the same price as a "reptile basking bulb" even though it's the same thing.

Levi the Leopard

IXOYE
10 Year Member!
Southern Oregon
Change #4 to a regular 65 watt flood lamp. It will cost you around a dollar and work just fine. Then you can use your new lamp stand to raise or lower the light fixture until your baking temperature is near 100F ;)

Jazenami

Team Gomberg said:
Change #4 to a regular 65 watt flood lamp. It will cost you around a dollar and work just fine. Then you can use your new lamp stand to raise or lower the light fixture until your baking temperature is near 100F ;)

So it can be just a regular bulb like you would put in a normal lamp??
Would I even need the ceramic socket at that point? Not that I would get rid of it but just wondering.

BowDownBowser

Jacksonville, Florida
Jazenami said:
Team Gomberg said:

Would I even need the ceramic socket at that point? Not that I would get rid of it but just wondering.

Yeah a normal spot light bulb does the same thing it just doesn't say zilla or zoomed so its a lot cheaper lol. I would just stick with the ceramic socket. It's much safer than say a plastic socket.

Jazenami

BowDownBowser said:
Jazenami said:
Team Gomberg said:

Yeah a normal spot light bulb does the same thing it just doesn't say zilla or zoomed so its a lot cheaper lol. I would just stick with the ceramic socket. It's much safer than say a plastic socket.

Wow the things companies get away with selling things to uneducated people like me!
Nice save thank you both

Terry Allan Hall

5 Year Member
The Republic O' Tejas
Jazenami said:

1) Herbal tortoise hay
2) Broadleaf testudo mix
^All from amazon

If you're going to raise Chompy some food, would you like some cactus pads? I'm going to be thinning down some of my plants, so can send you several, and they're VERY easy to grow. All I ask is for you to cover the postage.

This offer is for anyone else interested, as well, until I run out! :cool:

Levi the Leopard

IXOYE
10 Year Member!
Southern Oregon
All my heat bulbs are the regular house bulbs. I use a CHE for the thermostat but that's N/A in your case.

I bought an 8 pack of bulbs on sale at Kmart once for less than $2. :D Can't beat that!

Note, get an incandescent, flood lamp or spot light type of bulb. Those generate the heat. An "energy saver" bulb wont generate the heat you need.

TortsNTurtles

10 Year Member!
North East
Some great shopping sited are Tortoise Supply as you mentioned and Tortoise Compound also had some great supplies & seeds etc. When I get an urge to get a tortoise or turtle I go supply shopping :)

Jazenami

Terry Allan Hall said:
Jazenami said:
If you're going to raise Chompy some food, would you like some cactus pads? I'm going to be thinning down some of my plants, so can send you several, and they're VERY easy to grow. All I ask is for you to cover the postage.

I'd love that! Let me know when you can do this, I'd be happy to cover the postage. :D

Team Gomberg said:
All my heat bulbs are the regular house bulbs. I use a CHE for the thermostat but that's N/A in your case.

I bought an 8 pack of bulbs on sale at Kmart once for less than $2. :D Can't beat that!

Note, get an incandescent, flood lamp or spot light type of bulb. Those generate the heat. An "energy saver" bulb wont generate the heat you need.

I'm going to Wal-Fart to get some on Tuesday when my gigantic tortoise shipment arrives. I bet they're some ridiculously low price there.
I'm so excited!! I'll have more pics to post of all his new stuff :D :D :D

lynnedit

10 Year Member!
Southwest Washington
Team Gomberg said:

I agree! I would tend to get the incandescent (being discontinued, though), or the flood lights as a first choice, rather than a spot light.
Some of the heating/lighting studies show that the flood bulbs throw out a wider beam than the spot bulbs, so the heat isn't so focused on the tortoise shell in one spot.
In any case, you will find a good deal at places like Walmart!

tortadon

Jazenami said:

1) Herbal tortoise hay
2) Broadleaf testudo mix
^All from amazon

Nice tort. they get you when they look up at you don't they. I have been raising Red Foots for about 18 years and they don't need fancies just basics in the food. Mazuri tortoise chow will give them about all they need and than you provide fresh greens and veggies. Egg shells are a good snack and help in the Calcium needs. Right now I have 30 plus eggs in the incubator and the egg shells help in the tortoise egg developement

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
tortadon said:
Nice tort. they get you when they look up at you don't they. I have been raising Red Foots for about 18 years

Hi Tortadon, and welcome to the Forum. Won't you take a few moments to start a new thread in the "Introductions" section so we can give you a proper welcome?

lynnedit

10 Year Member!
Southwest Washington
Terry Allan Hall said:

I'd be interested! Sent you a pm, Terry

tort_luv_5055

New York (USA)
I do all my shopping on Amazon too :D We get all the best deals :cool:
I love the money saving.
I would buy a hibiscus bush,or hibiscus seeds. Tortoises love hibiscus leaves and flowers!

Terry Allan Hall

5 Year Member
The Republic O' Tejas
Jazenami said:
Terry Allan Hall said:
Jazenami said:

I'd love that! Let me know when you can do this, I'd be happy to cover the postage. :D
OK, I've gotten some other responses, as well, so I'll go tomorrow to the PO, get some of the "All You Can Cram Into The Box For $11.35" cartons and see how many gets filled, and then dole 'em out in the order of the requests...I'm guessing there'll be at least 12 good sized pads per box, and I'll print up simple instructions for starting your own cactus patch.

More in the next day or so! :cool:

Jlant85

5 Year Member
California
just a friendly reminder, you can actually still grow them from the pads....