Tortoise shell

Sarah2020

Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
London, UK
Hi I think limescale build up try to dry the tortoise after a soak, I use kitchen paper. Full marks for soak container. Try applying coconut oil to the shell to help moisturise and assist smooth growth.

Krista S

Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Saskatchewan
Hi, I am just wondering what the white lines are on my baby tortoise is this completely normal?
View attachment 329666
The marks you’re seeing are 100% normal and expected. One of the most experienced members on the forum here taught me (when I had the same concern) that she believes it to be calcium working its way through new keratin. We can’t say for certain if that’s true, but it seems to make sense since these marks are usually only visible in young, growing torts. The marks can appear as squiggles, circles or anything in between. If you do a search on the forum for “squiggles” or “white squiggles” you’ll see endless examples of this. Now that my tortoise is reaching more full grown size, the white squiggles and circle marks have become less and less.

If you haven’t already seen it, here is a link to the most up to date care sheet for your little one.