Status
Not open for further replies.

llamas55

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Northfield, MN
RE: Shell Peeling

sid the turtle said:
Sids substrate is crushed coconut shells, and is moist but not soaking wet. Usually it is dry. Humidity is at about 60 and normally doesnt get any higher or lower, temp is at 80.

What is Betadine and where can I buy it? Is it the same as like Tinactin?

My RF arrived from CA to MN last year and he didn't mention the entire bottom shell was missing it's top shiny layer except a few tiny spots. I did use Xenodine which is basically a betadine, for months, rubbed it in, but she also was likely starving, so not sure which it was. Now the middle pieces have grown new good shell but the old I guess is gone forever on the plastron.

zekie

5 Year Member
philippines
RE: Shell rot and how to treat it

hope he's alright.. get well soon!!

bettinge

5 Year Member
Upstate NY
RE: Shell Peeling

sid the turtle said:
This post may not fit here, but here goes.........OMG!!!! It seems the more I chat with you guys, the less I know about Sid. Almost 100% of everything everyone has told me contradicts what Petco says or even the care sheet they gave me. (I was pretty confident when I bought this little guy, but now I'm not so confident, I cant even keep his shell healthy.)...........Sorry, having a 1 woman pity party here. :( I even bought a book (tortoise & turtles for dummies---the most useless thing I ever bought.) I was just looking over the care sheet (from Petco) and it states the the humidity should be between 70-90%, is that right?? The highest I could ever get Sids humidity was 65, and thats even when I change his substrate and its warm and wet. The only thing thats right is the temp, which is at 80 during the day and 65ish at night. Is that right?? Please tell me I'm doing something right. I'M SOOOOOO CONFUSED!!!!!

Don't be confused! Believe the people here at the forum. Many have raised generations of tortoises and really make teaching and learning part of their hobby and love of tortoises!
As for the people at PetCo, they are well meaning I'm sure. For some its a part time job at best, and they regurgitate the false information they were taught!

Status
Not open for further replies.