tortoise shell question regarding outfit.

Julia B

Location (City and/or State)
Indiana
I take my tortoise Penelope outside everyday and we go to a field that’s free of any chemicals. Since I have a fear of losing her I decided to make a tracker belt she can wear while we’re outside. It’s an elastic band with a tracker superglued to the fabric. I was wondering if over time this would effect her shell and if so I will not use it anymore

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
What a smart idea. As you may or may not know, little Russians are GREAT escape artists. You just have to turn your head away for a couple seconds and when you look back the tortoise is nowhere in sight. As long as the tortoise isn't wearing the elastic band 24/7/365 I don't see that it will cause her any harm.

Julia B

Indiana
Awesome thank you! And yes she’s scared me a couple times before. I have a couple questions about her shell if you don’t mind answering them. She has a lot of nicks and chips and flakes alll over her shell and I was wondering if there is anything I can do to help it. Here are some pictures. (There is a big white spot on her side, and near her tail the gap between the scutes, also there is black between ages of the scutes and it kinda sticks out)

52FD1291-DA21-4F4A-85FB-F6BDF52A2266.jpegimage.jpgimage.jpgimage.jpgimage.jpg

Salisbury
Awesome thank you! And yes she’s scared me a couple times before. I have a couple questions about her shell if you don’t mind answering them. She has a lot of nicks and chips and flakes alll over her shell and I was wondering if there is anything I can do to help it. Here are some pictures. (There is a big white spot on her side, and near her tail the gap between the scutes, also there is black between ages of the scutes and it kinda sticks out)
It’s hard to find a Russian without! Mine certainly has

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
These are all old injuries and there's nothing to be done about them. They are not painful and are purely cosmetic.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
I take my tortoise Penelope outside everyday and we go to a field that’s free of any chemicals. Since I have a fear of losing her I decided to make a tracker belt she can wear while we’re outside. It’s an elastic band with a tracker superglued to the fabric. I was wondering if over time this would effect her shell and if so I will not use it anymore
I don't think the band will hurt the shell, but I do think the tortoise will slip the band as it powers through a tight spot eventually.

I'd also be worried about the tortoise eating something it shouldn't. They could be anything in that field. Cigarette butts, lost earrings, buttons, pins, there could be any number of toxic little plants sprouting up and your tortoise might eat that with the other stuff.

Julia B

Indiana
I don't think the band will hurt the shell, but I do think the tortoise will slip the band as it powers through a tight spot eventually.

I'd also be worried about the tortoise eating something it shouldn't. They could be anything in that field. Cigarette butts, lost earrings, buttons, pins, there could be any number of toxic little plants sprouting up and your tortoise might eat that with the other stuff.
She took a bite of a little tree sapling today and let me tell you, I snatched her up so quick I surprised myself.

Julia B

Indiana
These are all old injuries and there's nothing to be done about them. They are not painful and are purely cosmetic.
Should that beak get a trim?

Attachments

• 6FC3B980-0CE5-4F7D-821C-FCC5B781CA21.jpeg
    6FC3B980-0CE5-4F7D-821C-FCC5B781CA21.jpeg
    452.3 KB · Views: 6

Sa Ga

MN
That's a GREAT idea, but I agree with Tom--it could be slipped of as she wedged herself into/thru tight spots, or just slowly by walking along, catching it on a stick, etc.

I had posted a while ago about getting my tortie microchipped--but it still left the issue of putting something on her to tell ppl to read the chip.

I have not found a soln yet, but I'm guessing that if you can find a safe way to secure what you already have (where she couldn't get bound up in it or choked somehow if she got stuck somewhere), it'd be awesome!

Keep us posted with your ideas and your idea also gave me one to tinker with. Maybe between us all, we can come up with something!!!