Tortoise shell - growth ring

Kevin's owner

Hello, I am a relatively new tortoise owner. My mum has had my Russian tortoise for two years. Long story short, my family went on holiday and I have really enjoyed her company, so I've had her since, so it's been about two months now.
Her name is Kevin.
Background:
For her substrate I use ProRep Tortoise Life (Mediterranean). She has an Arcadia UVB lamp, I've also put in a little wooden walkway/bridge, pebbles and stones, and a little watering tray. I feed her mixed leaves daily, romaine lettuce, lambs lettuce and a few other little bits. She's also gets curly kale and dandelions every now and then. As well as this I am growing her weeds, antirrhinum/snap dragons, and nasturtium. Because she is only two, I still bathe her every other day. She's a very happy and active tortoise, very cuddly too, which I know is quite unusual.

So, my issue is with her shell. Recently, she's been growing what I can only describe as little white bubbles on her shell. It's only on the front/top of her shell, nowhere else.
I'm not sure if this is normal or not, I have attached an image. Is there anything I'm doing wrong? Is this even something I should worry about? Her behaviour and appetite has not changed at all, there is just this physical change which I have noticed, that's all. Any feedback would be much appreciated! Thanks!

image.jpeg

Last edited by a moderator:

JoesMum

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Kent, South East England
Hello and welcome

Please could you post pictures of your enclosure and lighting so we can see your setup?

You need to read these:

Beginner Mistakes
http://www.tortoiseforum.org/threads/beginner-mistakes.45180/

Russian Tort Care Guide
http://www.tortoiseforum.org/threads/russian-tortoise-care-sheet.80698/

The TFO Care Guides are written by species experts who are working hard to correct the misinformation given out by many pet stores and, sadly, some breeders and vets too.

My phone app won't display the photo you have posted (that's the app's fault not yours - it's an annoying bug) I'll jump on a computer later and take a look.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Hi, and welcome to the Forum!

We've talked about this a lot on the Forum. If you do a search for "White squiggly lines" you will be able to read all the threads and posts we've made. The general consensus of opinion is that we really don't know what those lines are, but they are completely normal.

Reactions: Tom

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Hello Kevin's Owner.

Looks like things are too dry there. Your tortoise will benefit from a little more humidity and a humid hide. Its all in the care sheet that Joes' Mum linked for you.

Also, that substrate is a dangerous gimmick. Encouraging the tortoise to eat its substrate to satisfy calcium cravings is a very bad idea. I would change that ASAP. Did the pet shop also sell you a ramped water bowl? What type of Arcadia bulb did you get?

Gillian M

5 Year Member
Jordan
A very warm welcome to the forum!| :tort:

Please keep in mind that torts need warmth, as well as humidity.