Tortoise shell growth looks strange to me, please help.

Maayaa1101

Location (City and/or State)
TX
I have a tortoise named Bibble( I’ve had her for going on three years). And Her shell has these strange indents on them and I don’t know what could be causing it. She’s still very active and everything else seems fine. I feed her leafy greens and some lettuce (kale, mustard greens, salad greens, romaine lettuce, etc) I don’t have a UVB light but could not having one be the issue? Does her shell look normal? image.jpgimage.jpg

Zara's Dad

Philadelphia, PA
The shell does look a little imperfect as shells go.. But you've had the tortoise for 3 years and it seems fine?... I Probably would not worry too much.

chemprentice

5 Year Member
Southern California (OC)
Your tortoise's shell looks fine to me, looks like normal wear and tear. Not every tortoise's carapace will look perfect. Yours looks healthy!

Cleopatra 2020

El Mirage. Az
Does she get any time outside? Does she have an outdoor pen? If she has access to sunshine, outside, for a few hours a week, you don't need a UVB bulb.
Does that goes the same for a 6 month old leopard hatchling as far as time outside couple hours a week?

KarenSoCal

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Low desert 50 mi SE of Palm Springs CA
Does that goes the same for a 6 month old leopard hatchling as far as time outside couple hours a week?
The rule of thumb is 1hour per inch of tortoise per day. This is the maximum time outdoors as they grow.

So if your baby is 2 inches long, he can be out for 2 hours daily. He doesn't need to be out this much for UVB. The sun is much more efficient making UVB than we are.

But remember, he needs access to both sunshine and shade while out, along with acceptable temps for his species.

Cleopatra 2020

El Mirage. Az
The rule of thumb is 1hour per inch of tortoise per day. This is the maximum time outdoors as they grow.

So if your baby is 2 inches long, he can be out for 2 hours daily. He doesn't need to be out this much for UVB. The sun is much more efficient making UVB than we are.

But remember, he needs access to both sunshine and shade while out, along with acceptable temps for his species.
I just worry because it gets quite hot here in Arizona and typically it's been a 105 to 110 out lately I don't let her sit on the tile under the Basking light with the temperature over 92 that's the max I leave for her to be safe that was the Breeders recommendation and how he does it so that's the guideline I've been following with her to be safe but she loves to bask on that tile... LOL

Cleopatra 2020

El Mirage. Az
If you have a temp gun you can check the temp of the tile's surface. It should be 95-100°F for safe basking.
yes I've seen that's what you all recommend I just have chose to be on the cautious side considering that lost Cleo back in March and I just don't want to take any chances I figure as she gets older I'll turn the heat up should be 6 months old a week from now her shell temperatures usually at 90 or 91 when the tile is 92 however the tile has gotten up to 94