tortoise setup for three (hatchlings)

Alexander6655

Location (City and/or State)
Westwood
most of my tortoise enclosure for 2 hatchlings (possibly 3) still waiting on a thermometer gun and a timer and some lamp holders let me know what you think ! I’m new

Attachments

• FECE298B-760A-4626-88C3-B36B934627D7.jpeg
    FECE298B-760A-4626-88C3-B36B934627D7.jpeg
    364.3 KB · Views: 61

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Over all, a good effort.

I prefer repti-bark to the forest floor, but you can use that one if you like.

The spot bulb is no good. You need a flood bulb. Just go to the hardware store for that. Get your terra cotta saucers for food and water there too, and a couple of their digital thermometers. Those reptile thermometers aren't accurate or reliable. I've bought those in the past and need up throwing them away.

In most cases products marketed for reptiles aren't well suited for tortoises. Those domes can work, but I prefer the ones from Home Depot. Cheaper, larger dome to disperse the heat over a greater area, and rated for more electricity.

The UV tube will work well.

No humidifiers for tortoises. They shouldn't be breathing water droplets in the air.

That type of open topped enclosure will not work for tropical tortoise species. They need a large closed chamber with the heat, lights and damp substrate inside. That is the only deal breaker I see. Well, that and the spot bulb. Spot bulbs will cause pyramiding. There is no way to maintain the correct heat and humidity with an open topped enclosure.

The foods are good.

You need a thermostat to control the CHE and maintain the correct ambient temp.

Alexander6655

Westwood
Over all, a good effort.

I prefer repti-bark to the forest floor, but you can use that one if you like.

The spot bulb is no good. You need a flood bulb. Just go to the hardware store for that. Get your terra cotta saucers for food and water there too, and a couple of their digital thermometers. Those reptile thermometers aren't accurate or reliable. I've bought those in the past and need up throwing them away.

In most cases products marketed for reptiles aren't well suited for tortoises. Those domes can work, but I prefer the ones from Home Depot. Cheaper, larger dome to disperse the heat over a greater area, and rated for more electricity.

The UV tube will work well.

No humidifiers for tortoises. They shouldn't be breathing water droplets in the air.

That type of open topped enclosure will not work for tropical tortoise species. They need a large closed chamber with the heat, lights and damp substrate inside. That is the only deal breaker I see. Well, that and the spot bulb. Spot bulbs will cause pyramiding. There is no way to maintain the correct heat and humidity with an open topped enclosure.

The foods are good.

You need a thermostat to control the CHE and maintain the correct ambient temp.
Buying something to control the CHE and do you think I can’t use the humidifier ?

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Buying something to control the CHE and do you think I can’t use the humidifier ?
I wouldn't. Not the way to go. The way to get the humidity you need is to prevent the humidity from escaping up into the room. Closed chamber. Imagine trying to heat your home in winter with no roof or ceiling. It wouldn't work. Same for your tortoise enclosure. It needs a roof.

Alexander6655

Westwood
I wouldn't. Not the way to go. The way to get the humidity you need is to prevent the humidity from escaping up into the room. Closed chamber. Imagine trying to heat your home in winter with no roof or ceiling. It wouldn't work. Same for your tortoise enclosure. It needs a roof.
What would you recommend for my enclosure ?

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
What would you recommend for my enclosure ?
A large closed chamber. I get them from MarkW84 here on the forum, Animal Plastics, or Reptile Basics. I think other companies have sprung up making them too.

Did you read this:

Alexander6655

Westwood
Okay I’ll get on ASAP
A large closed chamber. I get them from MarkW84 here on the forum, Animal Plastics, or Reptile Basics. I think other companies have sprung up making them too.

Did you read this:
yes I did , I was already planning to get a top but didn’t know a good one, I’m going right now to get the items you recommended thanks !

Alexander6655

Westwood
Okay I’ll get on ASAP
yes I did , I was already planning to get a top but didn’t know a good one, I’m going right now to get the items you recommended thanks !
also, what greens do you recommend for me to get ? wanted to hear what you think ..

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Okay I’ll get on ASAP
There isn't a good way to make a top for a tub like that. You need something else.

Foods are listed in the care sheet. Weeds, grasses, leaves, flowers, spineless opuntia, and the supplemental foods that you already have are great.

Alexander6655

Westwood
There isn't a good way to make a top for a tub like that. You need something else.

Foods are listed in the care sheet. Weeds, grasses, leaves, flowers, spineless opuntia, and the supplemental foods that you already have are great.
Thanks a lot , and damn it I paid 100 for it , you sure I can’t do anything at all

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Thanks a lot , and damn it I paid 100 for it , you sure I can’t do anything at all
I tried for year to make tubs work. Experimented with many ideas. None worked well. Switching to closed chamber made a huge difference. I'd return the tub and the reptile products that don't work. Get your money back.

Alexander6655

Westwood
I tried for year to make tubs work. Experimented with many ideas. None worked well. Switching to closed chamber made a huge difference. I'd return the tub and the reptile products that don't work. Get your money back.
any ideas on which I should get then?

Carol S

10 Year Member!
Alta Loma, CA
Get 1 or 3 hatchlings, not 2, as pairs do not work out. One of the tortoises will be the dominant one and bully and stress out the other one.

Perhaps you could get a little green house and put the black tub in it? Amazon sells different size ones. I have a Christmas tree storage bin sitting inside a green house and it works out great for keeping the humidity in. Below is a link to the one I bought. You can hang your lights using the metal bar at the top of the green house.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00CBB7G0I/?tag=exoticpetnetw-20

Lyn W

5 Year Member
UK
As stated above 2 torts will not work and even 3 in a an enclosed space could be asking for trouble further down the line as they will need more and more space.
Torts are solitary creatures and do not like company. It causes stress which can lead to illness, injury and even death.
So if I were you as a new keeper I would just get the 1 to start with and then assess if you have the space for more enclosures in the future.

Alexander6655

Westwood
Get 1 or 3 hatchlings, not 2, as pairs do not work out. One of the tortoises will be the dominant one and bully and stress out the other one.

Perhaps you could get a little green house and put the black tub in it? Amazon sells different size ones. I have a Christmas tree storage bin sitting inside a green house and it works out great for keeping the humidity in. Below is a link to the one I bought. You can hang your lights using the metal bar at the top of the green house.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00CBB7G0I/?tag=exoticpetnetw-20
Okay thanks

turtlesteve

10 Year Member!

I have two of these tubs. I am still using one. You can put a lid on them, and they hold humidity really well, but there is not enough height to mount good heat sources because they will be too close to the tortoises.

I like that they are affordable, easy to clean, and pretty well insulated - but so far I mostly agree with Tom. I might create some custom lids (that add height) or I might just give up. Putting one in a greenhouse tent would work OK, solves most of the problems except small size of the enclosure. Most species would outgrow these in a year - you might get 2 years with very small species.

What species of tortoise were you planning to get?

Alexander6655

Westwood
I have two of these tubs. I am still using one. You can put a lid on them, and they hold humidity really well, but there is not enough height to mount good heat sources because they will be too close to the tortoises.

I like that they are affordable, easy to clean, and pretty well insulated - but so far I mostly agree with Tom. I might create some custom lids (that add height) or I might just give up. Putting one in a greenhouse tent would work OK, solves most of the problems except small size of the enclosure. Most species would outgrow these in a year - you might get 2 years with very small species.

What species of tortoise were you planning to get?
Sulcata.

Ddflinn

SPRING VALLEY CA
most of my tortoise enclosure for 2 hatchlings (possibly 3) still waiting on a thermometer gun and a timer and some lamp holders let me know what you think ! I’m new
I tried forest floor and it jammed between their shoulder and shell , more that once. I then did repribark. Much safer in my mind. I made the let’s say “mistake “ of buying a small group of tortoises. The internet said either one or small group of females with one male. I thought duh I love turtles of course I’m getting a group. Well I have a complicated tortoise life now. Only two of my torts get along , and that’s only because the female is not sexually mature. The adult female gets attached relentlessly, if aloud to be in same area as male. Totally not relaxing or enjoyable to be around. I recommend just one and spoil it.