Tortoise room, table stacks and multi species

NSH

10 Year Member!
I have browsed forum but did not find any info on few of my questions.
So we have reptile room that will convert to tortoise room because we have our 6yo sulcata male and would like to add few leopards and later Indian stars. We have been watching our frends young sulcata for a few weeks when he was on vacation and our male was going nuts, he never saw younger one but as he was free roaming he would be crashing in cage where younger male was. So did he sense him or what? Will be problem in future tortoise room where will be separated by species all tortoises? Will he sense other females and go frenzy? I would not go in this with other tortoises if this will cause any stress for animals and we only have availabe one big room for winter encloures. Winter here last for 5 months so after that they go outside in big separated enclosures.

drew54

Location (City and/or State)
Indiana
I would say that he did sense the other tort. It's possible that he could stress out with the others scents present. Also, if he is of mounting age and he smells the females this could stress him out also. I don't know if there is an animal spray or something you could safely use to rid the area of their scents. But my guess is that there weren't other torts in the house with him or wherever he was housed. What is his behavior like everywhere else?

JoesMum

10 Year Member!
Kent, South East England
Yes, they can sense the other torts. They can smell and they can hear even if they cannot see.

Before overloading your collection with large species like Leopards, are you going to have room for these outdoors when they grow a bit? They're not a species that can be kept indoors for long as, just like Sulcatas, they need a lot of space.

NSH

10 Year Member!
JoesMum we have 25000 m2 of fenced yard, one big room will be only for tortoises and other two in house we have for other reptiles that we keep we know exatctly in what we getting in just want to hear people experiance on housing multiple species.

NSH

10 Year Member!
I would say that he did sense the other tort. It's possible that he could stress out with the others scents present. Also, if he is of mounting age and he smells the females this could stress him out also. I don't know if there is an animal spray or something you could safely use to rid the area of their scents. But my guess is that there weren't other torts in the house with him or wherever he was housed. What is his behavior like everywhere else?

We have only him for now, this sexomd sulcata was very small, cca 10" and dont know sex, this was year ago but i have start thinking about that because we want to add pardalis group to our house. Now is calm and rest of year is pretty calm, walking in yard, eating. In winter months he is in his indor enclosure for eating and defecation and after that he is with us in living room or chillin near fireplace. Pardalis group will be in same room but over his enclosure for winter and summer on his own outside enclosure

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
All of my tortoise yards share a communal fence - on the other side of the SA leopard's fence is the rain forest containing Manouria tortoises. They share a fence with RF, who share a fence with YF. On the other side of the desert tortoise's fence are the Russians and their fence is also the Texas. Dudley's fence is also the fence for the Texas tortoises. None of these tortoises are concerned at all with what's on the other side of their fence. They pay absolutely NO attention to what or who is across the fence.

BUT!!! The north fence in Dudley's yard is the fence to my back yard (mostly the wind comes into his yard from the north). When I get in large sulcatas that don't fit into my small quarantine pens, I have to put them into the back yard. Believe you me, Dudley is quite aware when another sulcata is near his yard. He gets pretty upset and nervous, marching around the perimeter, trying to get through the fence, not a happy camper at all. One time I had a large female in the back yard. That was REAL upsetting for poor Dudley. He was off his feed and trying to escape for about a week after she was gone.

NSH

10 Year Member!
All of my tortoise yards share a communal fence - on the other side of the SA leopard's fence is the rain forest containing Manouria tortoises. They share a fence with RF, who share a fence with YF. On the other side of the desert tortoise's fence are the Russians and their fence is also the Texas. Dudley's fence is also the fence for the Texas tortoises. None of these tortoises are concerned at all with what's on the other side of their fence. They pay absolutely NO attention to what or who is across the fence.

BUT!!! The north fence in Dudley's yard is the fence to my back yard (mostly the wind comes into his yard from the north). When I get in large sulcatas that don't fit into my small quarantine pens, I have to put them into the back yard. Believe you me, Dudley is quite aware when another sulcata is near his yard. He gets pretty upset and nervous, marching around the perimeter, trying to get through the fence, not a happy camper at all. One time I had a large female in the back yard. That was REAL upsetting for poor Dudley. He was off his feed and trying to escape for about a week after she was gone.

Thank you Yvonne
So long story short sulcatas sens other sulcatas and that makes them nervious. Will that be with leos or they react only on sullys in your experiance?

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
My only experience is with the species I listed above. The sulcata seems acutely aware of other sulcatas near his territory.

Reactions: NSH