TORTOISE RESCUE NETWORK

Thalatte

5 Year Member
I think it would be worth doing.

Could you post a link or describe his back story? Or just tell me what page number of the thread he is on? I have started skimming through this thread looking for him but its a long thread... And I am curious about him.

Thalatte

5 Year Member
Poor thing. Have you checked to see if she just reposted the ad?

I hope he gets a better home.

mayday29150

5 Year Member
Wow. It took me two days to read this tread all the way thru. Just want to say what a great job you guys and girls are doing. Don't want to scare any body but you may want to check local flea markets I rescued three reds at a local flea market. They were all adults 12 inches housed in a small hamster caged on cedar chips with a hamster water bottle for water. Was horrified. Guys was offering them as pets or as food. My jaw hit the floor. I took a deep breath and calmed myself down to explained to him what all was wrong with what he was doing to the torts. Work him for the hours on the price but know I was not leaving with out them. Finally reach a deal on them. Took them house and getting them the proper care and they could not be happier. I am in South Carolina and will be happy to cover most of Georgia North Carolina and South Carolina as needed. Thanks and take care.

Thalatte

5 Year Member
I found several hatchlings at yard sales actually...but now I will be checking the flea markets. Thanks for the tip.
In my town we get several people selling sliders on the roadside out of their cars.

BowandWalter

5 Year Member
Is there a TRN branch forming in Canada? I'm not in any position to house any rescues but there are definitely some torts in need of rescuing.

mainey34

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Peoria, Arizona
BowandWalter said:
Is there a TRN branch forming in Canada? I'm not in any position to house any rescues but there are definitely some torts in need of rescuing.
I would say to pm Erica on that.

mayday29150 said:
Wow. It took me two days to read this tread all the way thru. Just want to say what a great job you guys and girls are doing. Don't want to scare any body but you may want to check local flea markets I rescued three reds at a local flea market. They were all adults 12 inches housed in a small hamster caged on cedar chips with a hamster water bottle for water. Was horrified. Guys was offering them as pets or as food. My jaw hit the floor. I took a deep breath and calmed myself down to explained to him what all was wrong with what he was doing to the torts. Work him for the hours on the price but know I was not leaving with out them. Finally reach a deal on them. Took them house and getting them the proper care and they could not be happier. I am in South Carolina and will be happy to cover most of Georgia North Carolina and South Carolina as needed. Thanks and take care.
Thank you for letting us know this. We get so many on CL already here...maybe Kim and I will have to go on an adventure one day...

Jacqui

Wanna be raiser of Lemon Drop tortoises
10 Year Member!
A Land Far Away...
BowandWalter said:
You might go and look through the lists of who is in Canada. Take those names and PM them and see who would be interested. Even if you can not house animals, you could be the organizational leader.

BowandWalter

5 Year Member
Jacqui said:
You might go and look through the lists of who is in Canada. Take those names and PM them and see who would be interested. Even if you can not house animals, you could be the organizational leader.

That sounds a lot like work...

It would be easier in Canada because there's way less tortoises, but a lot more expensive per tort. I'll check out setting up something.

Kerryann

5 Year Member
West Bloomfield MI
I am interested if you find anything in Michigan. :) I am not sure I can do much more than foster the larger tortoises like a sulcata but we could help them temporarily. I also would have a hard time with anything aquatic or that eats other live things.

Jacqui

Wanna be raiser of Lemon Drop tortoises
10 Year Member!
A Land Far Away...
Pyramiding is not horrible, but the main issue is the price of $800 firm they are wanting. These folks are "selling" not really looking for a home in my opinion. Those two factors would make me guess this one is not a canidate for TRN.

LuckysGirl007

5 Year Member
Surprise, AZ
TRN friends...just wanted to let you know I probably won't be on here too much for the next few weeks and won't be able to transport or foster for a while.

Our 3 girls are all sisters that we adopted from foster care 3 years ago. Yesterday afternoon we received a phone call from CPS and their bio mother has had another baby and CPS is taking it into foster care right from the hospital. Mom asked if we would take her and we are. I will be picking her up sometime today when she is released from the hospital. I know she has been exposed to drugs and I don't know the extent of the effects of it yet though. I am anticipated a very sick baby that will be going through withdrawals. We have never had a baby before. They youngest child we got was 3 so this is going to be a new experience and I am guessing extremely time consuming. I'll try to check in when I get a chance though!

Keep up all the awesome work!!

Spn785

5 Year Member
Mid-Missouri
LuckysGirl007 said:
TRN friends...just wanted to let you know I probably won't be on here too much for the next few weeks and won't be able to transport or foster for a while.

Our 3 girls are all sisters that we adopted from foster care 3 years ago. Yesterday afternoon we received a phone call from CPS and their bio mother has had another baby and CPS is taking it into foster care right from the hospital. Mom asked if we would take her and we are. I will be picking her up sometime today when she is released from the hospital. I know she has been exposed to drugs and I don't know the extent of the effects of it yet though. I am anticipated a very sick baby that will be going through withdrawals. We have never had a baby before. They youngest child we got was 3 so this is going to be a new experience and I am guessing extremely time consuming. I'll try to check in when I get a chance though!

You are an amazing person! I hope all goes well. :D

Momof4

10 Year Member!
San Diego
LuckysGirl007 said:

Good luck with the baby. Your awesome!! We need more caring people like you!

mainey34

5 Year Member
Peoria, Arizona
Just wanting to bring this post up so that newbies that would like to volunteer there services could let Erica now. As previously noted in "need someone in SF Bay area."