TORTOISE RESCUE NETWORK

shellysmom

10 Year Member!
Some of the members on the forum have expressed interest in creating a network to help at-risk tortoises identified through ad websites, such as Craig's List. We have developed the Tortoise Rescue Network (TRN) to help ensure that tortoises currently receiving substandard care do not simply pass from one sad home to another, but end up in the best home possible.

If you identify a needy tortoise in your area, post the link here. Ideally, the person who posts the link would be interested in acting as the foster, and TRN would supply funds needed to: acquire the tortoise, pay for a vet visit (if needed), and assist with expenses related to care during the foster phase. The primary responsibility of finding a good, knowledgeable, permanent home will lie with the person fostering the animal. An adoption fee will be requested from the adopting family, to help cover the cost of care, and that money will be returned to the TRN fund to help another tortoise in need.

Priority rescue status will be given to tortoises that:
*Show signs of serious illness, such as MBD or respiratory infection; and/or
*Are housed primarily in small fish tanks, without proper husbandry.

The second portion of our work will be to encourage people selling torts in borderline condition to pass along the TFO link to the new owners so any care questions or concerns can be addressed.

I have volunteered to coordinate and raise funding for this project. We'll work out the kinks as we go along, and once things are running smoothly, and it appears to be having the desired result, we'll set it up so other people can donate. For now, I am creating a Pay Pal account for fund transfers to fosters, but if there's a better/safer/more efficient way to do it, please let me know. Otherwise, if you end up participating as a foster parent and need financial assistance, you will have to have a Pay Pal account.

Feel free to contact me via PM if you have questions, suggestions, or have info about a tort in need that you don't want to post publicly. Thanks.

shellysmom

10 Year Member!
Thanks so much! I'll make a note of the interested members, and where you are located, so when a needy tort is found in that area, we can let you know. There will likely be several ways to help, even if you can't foster, such as pick up and transport the animal, or loan extra supplies to the person fostering, or arrange shipping to a foster home if none in the area are available, or even just keeping an eye out to help find a good forever home... :) Yay!

pennyw

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
north carolina
shellysmom said:
Thanks so much! I'll make a note of the interested members, and where you are located, so when a needy tort is found in that area, we can let you know. There will likely be several ways to help, even if you can't foster, such as pick up and transport the animal, or loan extra supplies to the person fostering, or arrange shipping to a foster home if none in the area are available, or even just keeping an eye out to help find a good forever home... :) Yay!

count me in if i can help!

turtletania

5 Year Member
I know I am not in the US... but should anyone in Borneo need help... count me in. :)

waterboy

5 Year Member
Riverbank, CA
This is what i do already so i would love to help and get it going nation wide if not world wide.Also for the guys in AZ i will be in Pheonix first week of Nov. if their still their i could foster them. I will pm you with more info

greyshirt

5 Year Member
Floresville, Texas

shellysmom

10 Year Member!
greyshirt said:

This is the one I'm picking up tomorrow. She seems to be in good condition, but won't be for long. She is in a 10 gallon aquarium, with those green pellets for substrate. I'm going to keep her. But that redfoot is in sad condition.:( I would be willing to foster it.
[/quote]

I'll contact the seller of the redfoot, see if I can get more info and maybe more photos of her setup and such. She looks borderline to me, in which case she would not have priority for rescue, but it's hard to tell. Also, $400 is pretty steep, but I'll look into it and see what I can find out. Thanks!

shellysmom said:
greyshirt said:

This is the one I'm picking up tomorrow. She seems to be in good condition, but won't be for long. She is in a 10 gallon aquarium, with those green pellets for substrate. I'm going to keep her. But that redfoot is in sad condition.:( I would be willing to foster it.

I'll contact the seller of the redfoot, see if I can get more info and maybe more photos of her setup and such. She looks borderline to me, in which case she would not have priority for rescue, but it's hard to tell. Also, $400 is pretty steep, but I'll look into it and see what I can find out. Thanks!
[/quote]

OK, just heard back from the redfoot seller. Conditions seem ok, so we'll pass on her, but there's another russian in San Antonio that looks pretty sad. In the second photo, it actually looks like a redfoot to me, and the 1st photo is so blurry, I can't tell. I'll contact the seller for more info. Let me know if you might be willing to foster: http://sanantonio.craigslist.org/pet/3233584584.html

jtrux

5 Year Member
San Antonio, TX
I'll contact them too just to see what there rock bottom price would be...they are pretty close to me too so it wouldn't be hard to go take a look or pick her up.

greyshirt

5 Year Member
Floresville, Texas
Shellysmom, I've been tying to PM you but I can't get it to go through. I would be happy to foster the little guy.:D

qixer01

10 Year Member!
i am in el paso tx... count me in as to helping what i can... thanks

Jacqui

Wanna be raiser of Lemon Drop tortoises
10 Year Member!
A Land Far Away...
I love it!! Looks like the first one or two may be getting into this fantastic program!! Yippee!!

jtrux

5 Year Member
San Antonio, TX
Hey Billy, ive text messaged the guy with the other Russian, no response yet but if I get a response ill let you know.

The other Russian in San Antonio is no longer available.

I emailed this individual to see if they would like to join us and possibly be a foster. Not sure if they are a member here.

http://sanantonio.craigslist.org/pet/3282948344.html

Oh and I have a request, if you respond here and want to participate how about completing your profile so we can easily see where you are located

greyshirt

5 Year Member
Floresville, Texas
jtrux said:
Hey Billy, ive text messaged the guy with the other Russian, no response yet but if I get a response ill let you know.

The other Russian in San Antonio is no longer available.

I emailed this individual to see if they would like to join us and possibly be a foster. Not sure if they are a member here.

http://sanantonio.craigslist.org/pet/3282948344.html

Oh and I have a request, if you respond here and want to participate how about completing your profile so we can easily see where you are located

Thanks jtrux. Good idea on completeing the profile:)