Tortoise Question

Lea_0

Location (City and/or State)
Georgia
I just got a sulcata tortoise and he has a piece of collard greens stuck to his beak. How do I remove it or should I take him to the vet? I’ve heard that this can cause beak rot and would like to avoid that.

nicoleann2214

NY
I just got a sulcata tortoise and he has a piece of collard greens stuck to his beak. How do I remove it or should I take him to the vet? I’ve heard that this can cause beak rot and would like to avoid that.
Try a very very soft toothbrush and lightly go over it

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
They're not as fragile as you think. Just scrape it off with your fingernail.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Put the tortoise in a warm water soak for 30-40 minutes. You should be doing this daily any way if its a baby. After the water softens it up, either the fingernail or tooth brush method should easily remove it.

And there is no such thing as beak rot. If you do nothing, the food will dry up and fall off, rub off, or just disintegrate over time.

Braeden p

Pottstown PA
Put the tortoise in a warm water soak for 30-40 minutes. You should be doing this daily any way if its a baby. After the water softens it up, either the fingernail or tooth brush method should easily remove it.

And there is no such thing as beak rot. If you do nothing, the food will dry up and fall off, rub off, or just disintegrate over time.
Betty gets food stuck on her beak so I give her a soak and she gets it off her self.