Tortoise Pyramiding

Little Leopard

Location (City and/or State)
Houston
Hey guys, I got this leopard about a month ago and he’s been doing great. Eating well, pooping a lot and growing like a weed. Unfortunately, I have noticed some pyramiding and I do not know why. I give him 15 minute baths daily and he has a humidifier in his enclosure so the humidity is always above the 80s, I spray some water on him every now and then (never less than twice daily) but despite all of this, he is still pyramiding. His temps are set to a thermostat so the lowest it gets is 80 and the basking area is 95-100. Here are some pictures of the enclosure and Leroy, please let me know what I’m doing wrong so I can fix it as soon as possible, thank you!

IMG_1519844740.022937.jpg

IMG_1519844751.475239.jpg

IMG_1519844878.984654.jpg

IMG_1519844901.407767.jpg

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
I have the same problems for some reason yet not known. Still trying to figure ou why leopards specially seem to still pyramid. Is that a closed chamber? That's the only thing you could change if it isn't.
I'm trying some leaf litter in mine to see if them living with wet leaves on them and around them like in the wild will help

Little Leopard

Houston
Yes @wellington it’s a closed chambers. The enclosure is surrounded by pvc pipe wrapped in clear plastic. It’s kind of hard to see but in the third picture you can see the water dripping down the side on the left.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Yes I thought it was, just wasn't 100%. Maybe try adding more plants or damp/wet leaves.
It's a problem, specially with leopards it seems, that just hasn't been totally figured out. The high humidity is needed and sure helps and actually works on most, just not all.

Little Leopard

Houston
Alright sounds good, I will look into finding some tortoise safe plants in there and see if it helps!

motero

10 Year Member!
Arizona
I have three babies now who are looking good, they get some hot dry months out side in the Arizona summer, and some hot humid months back inside in the winter. Basically they only grow noticibly in the humidity. But no pyramiding so far.

spjr6

Louisiana
@littleleopard what are you feeding your tort as his main food?

spjr6

Louisiana
I have three babies now who are looking good, they get some hot dry months out side in the Arizona summer, and some hot humid months back inside in the winter. Basically they only grow noticibly in the humidity. But no pyramiding so far.

What do you feed them?

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Are they leopards? Can you post a couple pics of them and fill us in on their diet. Anything you do different then the norm?
Growing them smooth in AZ is a great feat. Not many I have seen from AZ without some pyramiding.

Little Leopard

Houston
@spjr6, I give him mostly dark greens (endive, kale, collard greens, spring mix without the spinach) and sprinkle some grass/ weeds from outside and sometimes I mix it with the zoomed grassland food.