Tortoise putting itself into hibernation!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Janey01

5 Year Member
I have a 4 year old tortoise who since the end of August has done nothing but sleep! She seems to have decided that she is going into hibernation by herself. I tried giving her warm baths, which does wake her up and she has a good drink. I put her back in her house with some food, she sniffs it and looks at it, turns around and goes back into her favourite corner and goes to sleep.

She did this last year, so I decided not to put her into hibernation, but I am not sure what to do with her. I m worried about this behaviour, especially if it carries on over the next few months.

Can anyone advise on the best thing to do? I have been putting her daylight bulb and basking light on everyday, but it makes no difference.

Janey01

5 Year Member
I shall go and take a photograph now, if I can wake her up!

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Southern California
More info is needed please. As well as which species, we also need to know where you are in the world, how long you leave your lights on, do you keep it dark at night, what are your 4 temps (cool side, warm side, basking spot and night), what do you feed and how much and how often, a pic of the enclosure would help, do you do any soaks, does your tort get out for any sun, is your tort housed indoor or out, is it near a window where it can plainly see the ever shortening days this time of year, etc...?

Most species don't go down in the middle of August, but depending on your routine and climate, it could be possible.

Janey01

5 Year Member
Tom said:
More info is needed please. As well as which species, we also need to know where you are in the world, how long you leave your lights on, do you keep it dark at night, what are your 4 temps (cool side, warm side, basking spot and night), what do you feed and how much and how often, a pic of the enclosure would help, do you do any soaks, does your tort get out for any sun, is your tort housed indoor or out, is it near a window where it can plainly see the ever shortening days this time of year, etc...?

Most species don't go down in the middle of August, but depending on your routine and climate, it could be possible.

Thanks for getting back to me. I shall do a temperature check and let you know. But I live in North Wales, UK. The tortoise is kept in a tortoise box in the house. She has a basking light and Arcadia UV light. The lights go on in the morning atound 8am and are swithced off around 8-9pm. She does go out in the summer when it is fine during the day, although she has not been out since mid August due to the weather. She is given food from the field, a mixture of eadible wild plants, Also mixed salad leaves, watercress, cucumber, cress, a little tomato, occasionally some fruit such a strawberry or grape, grated carrot, she gets fed twice a day. Also calcium powder dcaily and multi vitamin powder twice a week.
She is not kept by a window, although there is a large window in the room. The light is off all night. I'm sure what you mean by soaks?
I'll get back to you with temperatures.
I really apprecaite your help.

The temp under the basking light is around 90 degrees, under the UV light it's 80, and in the coolest part of the box is is about 70. This is where she wants to be all the time. If I put her under the basking light she will sit for 10 or 15 mins and then go off to her little corner where it is cooler.

Status
Not open for further replies.