Tortoise + pumpkin = Good or bad?

JoshIsTheBoss

Location (City and/or State)
Katy, TX
So I’ve decided I want to give my baby sulcata tortoise a pumpkin on Halloween as a little treat. But I just want to clarify that this is a good idea and it won’t hurt my tortoise, since it is a baby. And if it can. Does the pumpkin have to be a regular sized pumpkin? Or can it be a small pumpkin?

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Just wash the pumpkin off with water and it should be fine. A baby will have trouble eating a whole pumpkin, but it won't hurt it if it tries to take some bites. When you are ready for the baby to eat some pumpkin, I run a chunk of pumpkin through the cheese grater and mix the grated pumpkin in with greens.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
It's said to be a natural dewormer. Grind up all parts of it. Seeds, meat, pulp, skin to feed.
I usually cut a piece off to feed to my adult leopards. Too hard to try and bite a round object that won't stay still and is hard.

kevantheman35

10 Year Member!
indiana
I give my adult a full pie pumpkin cut in half once a year around this time and he loves it. I’ve given canned pumpkin in the past for digestive issues however he was not a fan

Bambam1989

East Texas
I've got 3 pumpkins that we grew this year in our garden. I plan on offering some to my lil Clunker. Intending on mixing it with some finely chopped grass.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
I give my adult a full pie pumpkin cut in half once a year around this time and he loves it. I’ve given canned pumpkin in the past for digestive issues however he was not a fan
Pie pumpkin is not the one to give, more sugars then the jack o lantern kind. Give the kind that is used for Halloween carving. Also, although I have resorted to the canned stuff once or twice, better to get a regular pumpkin, cut into smaller pieces and freeze. Then you can feed the better stuff all year. It's mushy when thawed, but torts don't seem to care.

Bee62

Germany
Thank you for that thread. I never fed my young sullies pumpkin before, but I will try it. They are happy about new food, I think.
How often can I feed pumpkin ?

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Just bear in mind that 'vegetables' that contain seeds, like tomatoes, cucumber, pumpkin, are really fruit, not vegetables, and fruit should be fed sparingly.

Bee62

Germany
Just bear in mind that 'vegetables' that contain seeds, like tomatoes, cucumber, pumpkin, are really fruit, not vegetables, and fruit should be fed sparingly.
Thank you Yvonne. I will keep it in mind and not feed often.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Thank you for that thread. I never fed my young sullies pumpkin before, but I will try it. They are happy about new food, I think.
How often can I feed pumpkin ?

During fall, I'll feed pumpkin to my tortoises a couple of times a week, then they don't see it any more until next year. For adults I just drop whole pumpkins or large chunks into their enclosures. For babies, I mix up a small amount with greens.

Bee62

Germany
During fall, I'll feed pumpkin to my tortoises a couple of times a week, then they don't see it any more until next year. For adults I just drop whole pumpkins or large chunks into their enclosures. For babies, I mix up a small amount with greens.
Thank you. I will report if my youngsters like the new food ( but I think yes, because they like everything what is eatable ... )

For Love of Everything Shell

5 Year Member
I was peeling cooked pumpkins in preparation to make pumpkin pies... my dog was on one side waiting for pieces to eat and Bob my Leo was on the other side! He had mashed pumpkin bits all over his face lol , if I can get a picture on here I will share it!

Bee62

Germany
Now I have fed my sullies pumpkin but they were not really "amused" of the new food.:(
I will wait another year and try it again to feed pumpkin the next harvest.:D

Bambam1989

East Texas
I too offered my tort some pumpkin and he didn't seem to thrilled. He also will pass on most flowers and go for the weeds. He doesn't have much of a sweet tooth which is good.