Tortoise Prolapse (Intestinal?)

tortoisehelp2

Location (City and/or State)
Sacramento, California
Earlier today (about two hours ago now) I noticed a bloody mass by my Hermann tortoise's anus. I'd never seen something like it before so I searched online and believe he has an intestinal prolapse. I think he may have eaten some of the substrate in his box but I'm not entirely sure. I have been soaking him in warm water for 30 minute intervals and then taking him out and putting him on a paper towel to dry for the past few hours. However, the swelling doesn't seem to be getting anything better. Should I take him to a vet? I'm unsure of what to do.
IMG_5495.JPG

nicoleann2214

NY
Earlier today (about two hours ago now) I noticed a bloody mass by my Hermann tortoise's anus. I'd never seen something like it before so I searched online and believe he has an intestinal prolapse. I think he may have eaten some of the substrate in his box but I'm not entirely sure. I have been soaking him in warm water for 30 minute intervals and then taking him out and putting him on a paper towel to dry for the past few hours. However, the swelling doesn't seem to be getting anything better. Should I take him to a vet? I'm unsure of what to do.
View attachment 298263
I’d say vet trip looks painful ouch!

Toddrickfl1

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Ga
Keep it moist for now. You probably need to find a vet. @Yvonne G can possibly give you some advice.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Lubricate it with mineral oil then with the pad of a finger gently push it back inside. You may need to continue to hold it until he quits pushing.

Fixing a prolapse is the easy part. You need to know why this happened and fix it or it will happen again (a heavy load of worms, constipation, stones, to name just a few).