Tortoise pricing!! (In Canada)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mikeedubb

5 Year Member
Hey guys. So I'm just wondering about tortoise pricing. Mainly in Canada but I'm sure most of you can give me some advice.

I'm looking to get a hermann tortoise here in Canada and from where I have been looking they are ranging from 500-800 (mostly red foots are in the 800 range) and after buying an extremely sick red foot for 425.00 from a local '' breeder'' only to have the tort pass away a few days later =(

After that I began looking around for reputable breeders. So I found a guy across Canada that is a breeder of tortoises that has a good reputation and I can get a 4 month old hermann shipped to my door for 683.00 with a health guarantee. If the tort will not eat or seems sick with the first 7 days of arrival he will replace the tort at his cost.

Im just wondering if you guys would consider that absolutely outrageous or reasonable since I have seen them a lot cheaper in the states but unfortunately I cannot order from the states because they cannot go through customs.

Or if anybody knows any breeders in Canada or anything that would be great also and I thank you in advance for any advice.

Thanks!!

mike taylor

10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Re: Tortoise pricing!!

I don't know anything about Canada's tortoise market. But them prices are high . WOW !!!!!

Sent from my C771 using TortForum mobile app

hunterk997

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Wayland, NY
RE: Tortoise pricing!!

I don't know about Canada's pricing on tortoises, or hermann's tortoises, but I went on tortoisesupply.com and they are selling hermann's tortoises for $175 (baby) and $200 (juvenile-adult, I'm assuming). I don't know if they are reputable, but I have seen members reference their site a few times. And I think they are "in the states." Sorry, that's all I know.

Mikeedubb

5 Year Member
RE: Tortoise pricing!!

hunterk997 said:
I don't know about Canada's pricing on tortoises, or hermann's tortoises, but I went on tortoisesupply.com and they are selling hermann's tortoises for $175 (baby) and $200 (juvenile-adult, I'm assuming). I don't know if they are reputable, but I have seen members reference their site a few times. And I think they are "in the states." Sorry, that's all I know.

Yes unfortunately they are in the states :(

It must just be up here in canada that they are so expensive because in pet stores hermanns are going for 699.99 and cherry head red foot tortoises are going for 799.99

unbeleivable!!

Saleama

5 Year Member
Irving Texas
I am ignorant of the laws, but is there no way to ship a tortoise from the USA to Canada?

Mikeedubb

5 Year Member
Saleama said:
I am ignorant of the laws, but is there no way to ship a tortoise from the USA to Canada?
There is yes, but there is a LOT of paperwork to file, and you have to acquire a permit which takes a very long time as well and there are guidelines you have to follow. as far as i have read at least.

You could always try and hope it wont get opened by customs but when you ship them they usually have "LIVE ANIMAL" on the box somewhere so its not worth the risk in my opinion.

it would be probably just a lot easier to pay the extra money and not have to deal with this stuff.

nate.mann

5 Year Member
Glendale, Arizona, USA
Saleama said:

i dont think so..which is why the OP has no choice but to pay those crazy prices

0.1.0 Sonoran Desert Tortoise
0.0.1 Leopard Tortoise
1.0.0 Bluenose Pitbull/American Bulldog

mike taylor

10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Why not drive over buy one and take it back with you .

Jabuticaba

5 Year Member
Winnipeg, MB
Saleama said:

Unfortunately, it's pretty tough getting any reptiles across. You can try smuggling it, though. [GRINNING FACE WITH SMILING EYES]

May[TURTLE]
1.1.0 Hermannis: Darwin & Wallace
Aussies: Dax, Vegas, & Cricket

Where do you live, Mike?

May[TURTLE]

mike taylor

10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Re: RE: Tortoise pricing!! (In Canada)

Jabuticaba said:
Saleama said:

Unfortunately, it's pretty tough getting any reptiles across. You can try smuggling it, though. [GRINNING FACE WITH SMILING EYES]

May[TURTLE]

Where do you live, Mike?

May[TURTLE]

I was just kidding don't send the fuzz to my house. I live in Houston Texas .

lkwagner

5 Year Member
Your not close to MI? Is it illegal to cross the border with one?

I go across the Canadian border like every weekend lol I don't see why it would be a problem

AnnV

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
SWFL
What exactly is the problem getting them through customs? Clean bill of health? Health certificate?

Ann from CT

Mikeedubb

5 Year Member
mike taylor said:
Why not drive over buy one and take it back with you .

i think the same rules apply when bringing it over yourself across the border and sending it through the mail.

lkwagner said:
Your not close to MI? Is it illegal to cross the border with one?

I go across the Canadian border like every weekend lol I don't see why it would be a problem

Im pretty close to Montana, about an 8 hour drive. But unfortunately you need a permit in order to take a live reptile across the border.

http://tortoiseforum.org/thread-23787.html

here is a link i was reading through which has the forums and paperwork for bringing a tortoise into Canada across the border.

Status
Not open for further replies.