Tortoise poo

jjjes1386

Hello. I just soaked louie and noticed he had finally pooped but it was very slimy look and looked a lot like mucus. His diet was the central market spring mix but I noticed he woukd only eat arugula so I just bought a shell of that stuff and he's happy with it. Is this poo normal?

newCH

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
So.FL
Dont know about the poo, maybe you were just seeing creamy urates ? My cherryhead redfoot loves arugula too.

sibi

10 Year Member!
Florida, USA
Hello. I just soaked louie and noticed he had finally pooped but it was very slimy look and looked a lot like mucus. His diet was the central market spring mix but I noticed he woukd only eat arugula so I just bought a shell of that stuff and he's happy with it. Is this poo normal?

Sometimes torts would release mucus-like substance in their urine or with poop. I think this is normal when it's present from time to time. However, if there's a large presence of mucus over an extended amount of time, it could indicate there they're trying to expel something with some difficulty. It's their body's response to it. Just keep an eye on the difficulty level of pooping, if any. It may just pass. Nothing to worry about.

jjjes1386

He still hasn't pooped in over a week. However he's only eaten around three times that I've seen cause I think he's still getting used to his new home

sibi

10 Year Member!
Florida, USA
He still hasn't pooped in over a week. However he's only eaten around three times that I've seen cause I think he's still getting used to his new home
What kind of tortoise do you have, and what is his age? Are you saying that you've only had him a week?

sibi

10 Year Member!
Florida, USA
What kind of tortoise do you have, and what is his age? Are you saying that you've only had him a week?
Ok I think he's a Russian tort. If he's only a baby, who did you get him from? How did they keep his enclosure when you got him?

jjjes1386

Hes a russian he's 5 and that had him in what looked like a 50 gallon aquarium with two other females. I got him from zookeeper pet store in austin

betty sny

ellensburg wa
Mine too....it's been a week and not eating much at all. Only had him for a month and he's being treated for an eye infection. I'm very worried!!!

sibi

10 Year Member!
Florida, USA
Sorry I got back to you so late. I'm thinking with the new ownership, the new home, and, I suspect , poor care from previous owner(s), just wait and see. I would take him to a vet who has treated torts before, and have him checked for parasites/worms. Also, see if the vet knows how to trim the beak. It looks a bit overgrown. But, keep us posted on his progress.

sibi

10 Year Member!
Florida, USA
Mine too....it's been a week and not eating much at all. Only had him for a month and he's being treated for an eye infection. I'm very worried!!!

Give me some history about your tort, like his age, and who you get it from. If he's been sick, that may account for not eating too much. Has he been checked for parasites /worms at the vet? Btw, I hope y'all are checking the care sheets for Russian torts. Their diet should consist of more than Arugula and spring mix.

betty sny

ellensburg wa
I've had my Russian tort for a month. He was seen on may 27th for an eye infection and it's in both eyes. He's being treated but I don't see any difference. The last time he pooped was at the vet appointment. He's never had a great appetite but loved dandelions but now he won't touch them. Tonight was the first time this week that I've seen him active...he was on my carpet and very mobile. Not so much in his cage though. I purchased him from our pet store. Thanks for all your help!!!

jjjes1386

Yeah I looked on the care sheet and it said he can have spring mix and arugula. I saw tat they liked a lot of weeds but I didn't read that anything else was necessary. Can you go into further detail? He's not a baby he is 5 years old

johnsonnboswell

5 Year Member
They need variety in the diet, not just one or two healthy good items but as many as you can find. In the winter that's limited, but summer is full of weeds and flowers and even grocery store greens that you should try.