Tortoise Pens on Hillside

Mike Renau

Location (City and/or State)
West Hills CA
I would like to get more of my tortoises outdoors now that it's warming up here in SoCal. For some of the older ones I would like to set up permanent outdoor enclosures. Problem is that I have a big Sulcata that roams the backyard,and a few Mediterranean species I keep in a large planter which leaves only the hillside behind the house. I have been scratching my head since we moved into this home years ago as to how I can make use of the hillside but haven't been able to come up with anything. Has anyone ever successfully built pens on a hillside that can give me some advice? Is this idea not recommended in the first place? The hill is on a slope of around 30 degrees which is close to being a little too steep but I know certain species would do well in that environment.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
It would be a big undertaking, but you could terrace sections of it

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
I try to incorporate hillsides into my enclosures whenever I can. It keeps them fit and I have never had one fall down. Should be fine for any species. Galapagos tortoises walk up and down the side of mountains and volcanos daily.

ethan508

Northern Utah
Could you terrace by adding dirt instead of removing it? Dirt ain't cheap but if you are rocky additive landscaping is easier than excavation.

Levi the Leopard

IXOYE
10 Year Member!
Southern Oregon
I personally like the idea of a hillside enclosures. You could plateau a few sections but like Tom, I think the hills would be fine for them.