Tortoise owners of Colorado??

DawnH

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Southeast Texas
I am excited to see this thread. We will be in Denver/Colorado Springs in July with a possible move next year. Does anyone have a large tortoise and if so, can you share your winter set up? We have a sulcata and I would love to see what everyone is doing for ideas. Thank you!!

sunshyne621

5 Year Member
I have a red foot, two box turtles and a leopard. But nothing living outside. I am at 8700 ft and so the weather doesn't cooperate very well. We are trying to figure out how to make our sun porch into some sort of year round room for the leopard once she is bigger. Sorry, I can't be of more assistance for large tortoises!

leigti

5 Year Member
southeast Washington
I am excited to see this thread. We will be in Denver/Colorado Springs in July with a possible move next year. Does anyone have a large tortoise and if so, can you share your winter set up? We have a sulcata and I would love to see what everyone is doing for ideas. Thank you!!
I have seen several threads on here of peoples large sulcatas walking around in the snow. I'm from Colorado so I am familiar with the climate there but I do not own a large tortoise so you can take my suggestions for what they're worth :) you will definitely need an insulated heated shed for winter, and a place to get out of the weather. There are thunderstorms most evenings during the summer. Depending on exactly where you are located will depend on how predator proof the enclosure is, as well as the size of your tortoise.

DawnH

5 Year Member
Southeast Texas
Are you excited about the possible move?
YES! We were in Denver and Co Springs a few weeks ago and love the springs. Seriously hard to come back home. I have so many ideas for Tuleo's oasis...lol

Tortius Decimus

5 Year Member
Colorado
Hello :D Nice to find other Coloradoans with torts ;) I personally have a male russian tortoise. Just brought him home on July 1st and he's just the sweetest guy. Alert, very active, super friendly. Won't touch fresh lettuce greens yet. Figure it's because he was fed only a pellet diet. But he surprised me and ate weeds outside today. Guess I was offering the wrong chow ;) Anyway, we're in the foothills.

SusannahJoy

Hello everyone! I just moved to CO Springs and will have a 4 year old leopard tortoise joining me. We've got 2.5 acres, and no HoA, so I'm planning on converting a chicken coop into an awesome enclosure that should withstand most weather (although I'm still researching that). Definitely looking forward to meeting (either in person or just online) some locals!