Tortoise Overheating While Laying

MichaelL

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Ocala, Fl
Just curious, will tortoises overheat and die while laying eggs if the sun is too hot and they haven't finished in time? Or will they abandon the nest and go to shade and lay later. What are your experiences.

When my female was laying in March, the sun was super strong and even though she was laying next to a bush, a patch of sunlight was on her as she was laying. She looked like she was getting super hot and covered up the nest as quickly as she could. I put a tupperware cap over her so she could cool off as she laid but what happens when shade is not provided and they can't finish before overheating? Thanks

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Just curious, will tortoises overheat and die while laying eggs if the sun is too hot and they haven't finished in time? Or will they abandon the nest and go to shade and lay later. What are your experiences.

When my female was laying in March, the sun was super strong and even though she was laying next to a bush, a patch of sunlight was on her as she was laying. She looked like she was getting super hot and covered up the nest as quickly as she could. I put a tupperware cap over her so she could cool off as she laid but what happens when shade is not provided and they can't finish before overheating? Thanks
My SA leopards lay all spring and summer long. I frequently find them in full sun mid day on a hot day. I'm taking days in the high 90s. I had the same concerns as you, but they seem to be fine. I also shaded them the first few times I saw this, but they seem to know what they are doing. Still causes their caretaker (me) tremendous anxiety. As long as we don't upset them enough to bump them off the nest, I think Shade from a distance is probably okay, just to be on the safe side.

My stars tend to lay at night, and all my other species are winter layers, so I have the opposite problem. I have 250 watt CHEs rigged up for this.

Last edited by a moderator:

MichaelL

5 Year Member
Ocala, Fl
My SA leopards lay all spring and summer long. I frequently find them in full sun mid day on a hot day. I'm taking days in the high 90s. I had the same concerns as you, but they seem to be fine. I also shaded them the first few times I saw this, but they seem to know what they are doing. Still causes their caretaker (me) tremendous anxiety. As long as we don't upset them enough to bump them off the nest, I think Sade from a distance is probably okay, just to be on the safe side.

My stars tend to lay at night, and all my other species are winter layers, so I have the opposite problem. I have 250 watt CHEs rigged up for this.
Okay, thank you!