Tortoise not wanting to soak?

FavoriteTortoise

Location (City and/or State)
Lincoln Ne
My baby Sulcata is being stubborn. I place him in the pot saucer I have filled halfway with water, and he spends maybe a minute or two in there and just gets right out. Will this be a problem or will it be fine?

yaycolin

Huntington Beach, CA
My baby Sulcata is being stubborn. I place him in the pot saucer I have filled halfway with water, and he spends maybe a minute or two in there and just gets right out. Will this be a problem or will it be fine?
I recommend getting a soaking container that is deep enough so your tort cannot get out on its own. Force him/her to soak in warm water for 30 minutes everyday, and you wont have to worry about hydration.

FavoriteTortoise

Lincoln Ne
I recommend getting a soaking container that is deep enough so your tort cannot get out on its own. Force him/her to soak in warm water for 30 minutes everyday, and you wont have to worry about hydration.
That seems a bit dangerous, I dont want him to drown

Toddrickfl1

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Ga
It's absolutely necessary for a healthy hydrated baby. Fill a small dish with enough warm water to come up to about the neck of your tortoise and soak it for 30 minutes daily.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Well, you don't just plunk him in the bowl then go away and leave him. Of course you have to check on him often to make sure he's ok. But you must soak him in a bowl he can't climb out of.

Reactions: Ink

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
The water should not be deep enough for him to drown. Only about 1/3 to 1/2 way up the shell. And keep the water warm for the entire 30-40 minute soak. You can put the tall sided, opaque, soaking tub inside the enclosure near the heat sources to keep it warm. Monitor the temperature frequently. I soak in a warm reptile room.

IMG_1412.JPG

IMG_0069.jpg

Sarah2020

Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
London, UK
Yes because he can see through it. Try getting folded newspaper to wrap around the outside rim with some tape or string to secure and you can reuse. They will do a bit of climbing but it is good housekeeping for hydration. I use a s all toothbrush to clean the shell and underneath very gently. You will find over time he will just rest and drink and relieve himself.

Reactions: Ink
Oregon
Well I soak my tortoise in a bathtub, and she still tries to get out. On a good note, though, is that she scratches her nails, which gave her the nickname “perfect nails.”

AllieKat1997

5 Year Member
Missouri

Get a bigger heavier bowl. Then he can’t flip it or climb out of it. My tortoise did the same thing and I just got a bigger heavier glass bowl to adjust to him tipping it and escaping.

Sue Ann

chapin , South Carolina
He
cannot soak in a saucer. I use a container that he can “swim” in. Duck his head to drink.

William Lee Kohler

5 Year Member
Eugene, OR
I have two Western hingebacks very long term captive that spend most of their H2O time thrashing around wanting out of the sink. Have 3 female Spekes hingebacks only captive about 3 1/2 years and always calm in the H2O. At least until it starts to cool off. Really different personalities.

Sue Ann

chapin , South Carolina
The water should not be deep enough for him to drown. Only about 1/3 to 1/2 way up the shell. And keep the water warm for the entire 30-40 minute soak. You can put the tall sided, opaque, soaking tub inside the enclosure near the heat sources to keep it warm. Monitor the temperature frequently. I soak in a warm reptile room.

View attachment 298882

View attachment 298883
So beautiful to see well started babies