Tortoise not wanting to come out of shell

RussianTortxo

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Florida
I kind of ran into an issue with my russian tortoise last night. I transported him from my parents house to my boyfriends house in Ellenton, FL. He was doing fine, but after i got him settled in his enclosure tub, i picked him up a couple times and since then he hasnt wanted to come out of his shell. He will move his arms when i touch his tail but otherwise won’t come out of his shell or walk around.

At my parents house he didn’t care about me touching him or picking him up, if i startled him he would always come out of his shell immediately.
But this time, he isnt wanting to.

I gave him two warm water soaks and still nothing. He has his mercury uva + uvb bulb here and everything. We even made the room he is in a little warmer since it is temperature controlled because before it was really cold in there compared to the rest of the house.

I just don’t know what else to do. He hasn’t ever stayed in his shell for this long, he always comes out within 20 seconds.

TeamZissou

Albuquerque, NM
Is he in a new enclosure, or the same enclosure that you moved to a new location? Have you tried measuring the temperature at all? Bumping the ambient temperature up to 80F at tortoise level will help.

In general, tortoises don't like change. It may just take him some time to calm down after the journey.

Here's a great care sheet with a lot of info on how best to take care of your tortoise:

If you can, post some photos of your setup and we can provide some more advice.

RussianTortxo

5 Year Member
Florida
Hello,

I just got informed that he actually is walking around and eating now.

I use a mercury uva+uvb, orchid bark and a big 50 gallon tub. He has a hiding area, planter saucer dish for water that he also lays in, etc.

If it happens again, i will reach back out and show detailed pictures.

Thank you so much though for responding!

Blackdog1714

5 Year Member
Richmond, VA
Imagine if some giant grabbed you from your happy place and put you in a new area. Even old areas need to be reinvestigated