Tortoise not eating after attack

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Clovis, CA
Don't think it's looking too good for poor Shelby. Did another carrot puree bath today and he just wanted to sleep in it. He is fairly lifeless and all he wants to do is sleep. Only opens his eyes for very short period of time
During the recuperation process place him into a smaller hospital tank. A 10 gallon aquarium serves this purpose nicely. Something small you can cover. Keep the temperature up to about 85F degrees day and night. The extra heat helps him fight off any bugs. Is this little tortoise on an antibiotic regimen? Infection is what gets these little guys after an episode like this, so be sure to continue the antibiotics until used up.

Sarah McCabe

ireland
During the recuperation process place him into a smaller hospital tank. A 10 gallon aquarium serves this purpose nicely. Something small you can cover. Keep the temperature up to about 85F degrees day and night. The extra heat helps him fight off any bugs. Is this little tortoise on an antibiotic regimen? Infection is what gets these little guys after an episode like this, so be sure to continue the antibiotics until used up.
He had anti biotic eye drops and is getting them twice daily until they are gone. Are you saying to keep his heat lamp on all day, current it goes off at night to allow a cooler temp

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Yes, heat day and night. I would have thought the vet would provide antibiotic injections to stave off infection.

Maro2Bear

5 Year Member
Glenn Dale, Maryland, USA
He had anti biotic eye drops and is getting them twice daily until they are gone. Are you saying to keep his heat lamp on all day, current it goes off at night to allow a cooler temp

What kind of “heat lamp” are you using? You can get a Ceramic Heating Element (CHE) and have it connected to a Thermostat with a temp probe. It can be on 24/7 and you csn get the right temp dialed in.

Sarah McCabe

ireland
What kind of “heat lamp” are you using? You can get a Ceramic Heating Element (CHE) and have it connected to a Thermostat with a temp probe. It can be on 24/7 and you csn get the right temp dialed in.
That sounds very fancy. Might have to invest in that. I am just using a normal one but will leave on overnight now

Sue Ann

chapin , South Carolina
Sheesh! You wouldn't think a lizard could inflict that kind of damage.

The tortoise is traumatized and stressed out. It's going to take him a while to realize he's safe once again. One thing to help him feel safe is to leave him in his enclosure. You might try keeping that closed eye lubricated, so it doesn't get hard and crusty. There's an eye gel called Veterycin. If the pet store doesn't sell it you can get it online.
Please give him a chance to get over the trauma. Use the pedialyte soaks with baby food carrots. Don’t give up on the little guy.

Chefdenoel10

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
New Jersey
Don't think it's looking too good for poor Shelby. Did another carrot puree bath today and he just wanted to sleep in it. He is fairly lifeless and all he wants to do is sleep. Only opens his eyes for very short period of time
Did you try putting him under heat lamp ?
Maybe he needs warmth???

William Lee Kohler

5 Year Member
Eugene, OR

I keep seeing on here they don't like a change in surroundings. Wouldn't that be counter productive?

jeneliza

burton michigan
I keep seeing on here they don't like a change in surroundings. Wouldn't that be counter productive?
Not in this case, he may not like it, however it's easier to maintain the heat and to help keep the wound clean, the hospital encloser, is to make the area smaller so he feels safe, when there hurt, they tend to become fearful, and can shut, down and stop eating and drinking, when the area is smaller it helps them feel more secure,

Sarah McCabe

ireland
He is in a smaller area, heat lamp is on constantly but still he is very lifeless and just slept on his food. Eyes are only open whilst in his bath and for few mins after then he just sleeps or finds a corner he can sleep in

jeneliza

burton michigan
He is in a smaller area, heat lamp is on constantly but still he is very lifeless and just slept on his food. Eyes are only open whilst in his bath and for few mins after then he just sleeps or finds a corner he can sleep in
At this point I would call the vet , and see what he thinks about his behaviors,

Lyn W

5 Year Member
UK
is your heat lamp on a thermostat to keep the temps around 85F?

iAmCentrochelys sulcata

Alief
Our bearded dragon bit our baby russian tort on the face, caused quite a bit of damage, both eyes were closed and the would was between them. Brought him to the vet straight away and he was given antibiotics . His face seems to be healing well, one eye is open and looks fine but other still shut. i am worried as he hasnt eaten a thing in over a week.

he was back for a check up yesterday and vet seemed happy enough and tube fed him some critical care food, in the hope it might stimulate his appetite. he said his beak is strong and so he should be able to eat. Soaking him twice daily to make sure he is hydrated but he still wont eat. Before the accident he was a great eater and loved his food. Have tried all food with him and he just wont touch it.

I dont him to suffer a long painful death, if he is going to pass would rather get him put to sleep than prolong suffering.

Has anyone experience this and the little tort survive?
I don’t know you get your tortoise with your BD? Keep him Warm and paper towel a bit moist. How exactly did they become in contact with each other?

Chubbs the tegu

Ma
I would ask your vet if he/she has had any experiencing treating torts. I hate to say it but lots of them have no clue.

Chefdenoel10

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
New Jersey

how is your little one doing?
I wish I could help!

jeneliza

burton michigan
how is your little one doing?
I wish I could help!
Has he showen an improvement? From the day it happen? Even small improvement is good, torts tend to take along time to heal, sometimes it's more of a mental healing then the wound it's self, they tend to want to hide, and if they can't they will close off,, by sleeping, but check with your vet, if he's or she isn't experienced with torts, may be helpful to look for one that is, this is also maybe because he's not seeing well yet, or the eye may be sore,