tortoise not coming out of shell

Boyu

Location (City and/or State)
Barcelona
hello guys i have a tortoise but i got hay as a substrate he likes digging but one day a hay got stuck i his eye the i pulled it out and it bleeded just a little bit. now hes just never comes out of its shell pls help its a pet store bought and im prrety sure its a russian tort

and the blood is gone now

karen1234

hertfordshire
hello guys i have a tortoise but i got hay as a substrate he likes digging but one day a hay got stuck i his eye the i pulled it out and it bleeded just a little bit. now hes just never comes out of its shell pls help its a pet store bought and im prrety sure its a russian tort

and the blood is gone now
im no vet but my daughter-inlaw is ,,you must take it to the vets as it may have an infection ,,,

Boyu

Barcelona
im no vet but my daughter-inlaw is ,,you must take it to the vets as it may have an infection ,,,

but we cant afford it its 75 euros oh and one eye is closed

we can afford it but i dont wanna waste money

karen1234

hertfordshire
but we cant afford it its 75 euros
i do understand this i have a saint bernard and a sheltie and a gecko and most of my wages go on them but then i really wouldnt have an animal if i couldnt afford to take it to the vet as i would be so worried if it was suffering :(

Hexazor

Stuttgart
but we cant afford it its 75 euros oh and one eye is closed

we can afford it but i dont wanna waste money
First of all don't get a tortoise if u can't afford it's medical bills and etc. By the way try to soak that poor little guy on lukewarm water to make sure he's hydrated and he also might come out of his/her shell when u soak him/her

karen1234

hertfordshire
your first answer was that you can not afford it so not sure what you mean ,,but if my boy had this i wouldnt hesitate but to get him help

KarenSoCal

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Low desert 50 mi SE of Palm Springs CA
Is the eye that is closed the same eye that got stuck with the hay?

Could you take some pictures of the tortoise and post them? We need to be sure what species it is.

Hay is not a good substrate, as you have found out. Coco coir, fine grade orchid bark (fir bark), or cypress mulch should be used.

Post some pictures of the enclosure and lights you are using.

Boyu

Barcelona
Is the eye that is closed the same eye that got stuck with the hay?

Could you take some pictures of the tortoise and post them? We need to be sure what species it is.

Hay is not a good substrate, as you have found out. Coco coir, fine grade orchid bark (fir bark), or cypress mulch should be used.

Post some pictures of the enclosure and lights you are using.
oh thx it was only a minor injury i bought cypress he is cured now he only needed to rest 2 days and putting him in the water ty

mastershake

5 Year Member
Florida
you really should be using some antibiotic eye drops (suitable for tort use) on that eye so in a couple weeks you dont have an infection on your hands imo