Tortoise nose seems to be closing up!!

JoeyandChandler

Location (City and/or State)
Somerset
Hello, one of my tortoises (horsefield, around 7 years old) has had a cut on his nose for a while now. He was living at my sisters and I think he got the cut from when he was in a wire run outside in the sun, (he’s also chipped his beak doing the same thing climbing up the sides of the wire run but he still eats fine) I didn’t have much concern over it as he was acting normal as ever, and it seemed to be healing nicely! It still seems to be healing but it’s closing over his nostrils the last few days! Not entirely sure what to do as could a vets prevent this more? Can he breathe through his mouth until this heals if it does?? Some forums say they don’t mouth breathe and others do!! I know he does look like he’s been through the wars but he’s the clumsiest tort ever but he’s still eating and drinking just the same! Just worried about his breathing

image.jpg

Yossarian

5 Year Member
Wales
Your tort doesnt look too good with all due respect. You say he "chipped" his beak and I think that is an optimistic way to describe it, his lower jaw looks like most of his beak is broken off,, his upper isnt great either. I dont know what is covering his nostrils but it shouldnt be part of his anatomy, does it peel off? Hopefully one of the others with more experience will have an idea of what it is.

FYI, all torts are dumb, you have to be smart for them and not let them hurt themselves, they all will if you dont.

Can you give us anymore information about this torts care? also more photos of its mouth and beak would be useful.

JoeyandChandler

Somerset
Your tort doesnt look too good with all due respect. You say he "chipped" his beak and I think that is an optimistic way to describe it, his lower jaw looks like most of his beak is broken off,, his upper isnt great either. I dont know what is covering his nostrils but it shouldnt be part of his anatomy, does it peel off? Hopefully one of the others with more experience will have an idea of what it is.

FYI, all torts are dumb, you have to be smart for them and not let them hurt themselves, they all will if you dont.

Can you give us anymore information about this torts care? also more photos of its mouth and beak would be useful.

Yes chipped is probably too optimistic but when that happened he wasn’t in my care and when I searched about what to do most people said they can sometimes grow back their beak! I do sit and watch him eat and break up all his food and he’s definitely getting enough food. It’s just the cut above his nose I’m worried about. The patch of red is where he cut it and it was healing absolutely fine but it’s just his nostrils I’m worried about. He usually lives outside but as the weather is colder he’s inside with another tortoise. They have heating and uv, dry grass/hay as bedding as they haven’t got on with much else.

Also very aware not to let them hurt themselves but you can’t watch them 24/7, I now have them back in my care and their outside run has a wooden inside partway up the sides to stop them climbing the wire, it’s one specially made for tortoises.

crimson_lotus

10 Year Member!
Massachusetts
can you carefully scrape off/wipe off the area around the nostril? it looks like its just scabbing over. make sure to disinfect and clean it when you are done

TammyJ

5 Year Member
Jamaica
I think two things.
He needs to be checked by a good reptile vet, and after that:
He needs to not be with another tortoise.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
His eyes look sunken (dehydrated) to me. After a good, long soak you should be able to clean his face and clear the nostrils.

Since russian tortoises are not all that fond of water it would be helpful if you were to spritz water over his food daily.

JoeyandChandler

Somerset
His eyes look sunken (dehydrated) to me. After a good, long soak you should be able to clean his face and clear the nostrils.

Since russian tortoises are not all that fond of water it would be helpful if you were to spritz water over his food daily.

he had just been in the bath before this photo for a good 15 minutes, I try to bath them everyday as they hate a water bowl! Thank you for the spray tip on food, I will definitely try that!

JoeyandChandler

Somerset
I think two things.
He needs to be checked by a good reptile vet, and after that:
He needs to not be with another tortoise.

I am trying to find a reptile vet in my area but also trying to do what I can at home for him. Joey and Chandler have lived together for 7 years and never had any problems, both boys but always had enough space and food that they don’t bother each other. Thank you for the advice though.

William Lee Kohler

5 Year Member
Eugene, OR
Tortioses are tough and deal with much worse than this in nature. Likely don't need to waste money on a Vet just to be told what you can already see for yourself. They will breathe through their mouth if needed. Just get some triple antibiotic ointment and apply to damaged area as needed and leave the scab alone till it's ready to come off on its own. IF there is a closing of nostrils a Vet can deal with that later after his nose is healed. With beak damage feed only soft food and not crunchy things similar to apples or celery until it looks more or less normal again. If he'll eat soaked original Mazuri that's a good food and easy to get. Soaking is a good thing to do even if they protest. Water just deep enough they don't float and don't have to swim.

William Lee Kohler

5 Year Member
Eugene, OR
can you carefully scrape off/wipe off the area around the nostril? it looks like its just scabbing over. make sure to disinfect and clean it when you are done
Did your mother never tell you "don't pick at it or don't pick off the scab"? Antibiotic ointment and a little time is all it needs.

JoeyandChandler

Somerset
Did your mother never tell you "don't pick at it or don't pick off the scab"? Antibiotic ointment and a little time is all it needs.
Tortioses are tough and deal with much worse than this in nature. Likely don't need to waste money on a Vet just to be told what you can already see for yourself. They will breathe through their mouth if needed. Just get some triple antibiotic ointment and apply to damaged area as needed and leave the scab alone till it's ready to come off on its own. IF there is a closing of nostrils a Vet can deal with that later after his nose is healed. With beak damage feed only soft food and not crunchy things similar to apples or celery until it looks more or less normal again. If he'll eat soaked original Mazuri that's a good food and easy to get. Soaking is a good thing to do even if they protest. Water just deep enough they don't float and don't have to swim.

thank you! Obviously if I need to and get more worried I will take him to a vet as he’s my baby! But yes this is what I was trying to ask as I can’t see how much more a vet can do and if there’s anything I can do to help at home that would be amazing! I will look into the ointment now:) yes I watched him eat the otherday and saw he was struggling to rip up his greens so I chop them very small for him now! I will also look at this mazuri. He has Komodo pellets soaked in water and he loves them! Thank you again!

William Lee Kohler

5 Year Member
Eugene, OR
Have never heard of Komodo but if he loves it than should also like Mazuri unless your brand is really high in protein. Seems sometimes when they get used to it anything less may be rejected. Hope to see him recovering quickly . When you see improvement please post it up for us to see. If you happen to have lots of money to spare of course it's OK to go to the doctor but for some of us that's not so easy. Some people are just so reactionary and don't realize how well these guys were created for survival and that means healing from some pretty horiffic injuries. These are fairly minor by comparison.