tortoise noob

Status
Not open for further replies.

babascots

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
i got my tortoise about a year ago and i have always used dirt as bedding for her, lately she has been tracking her dirt into her water dish, causing me to change it sometimes twice a day...are there any suggestions for what type of bedding i should use, i looked at some stuff called calci-sand, but the lady at the pet store told me it might give my tortoise digestive problems, please help and thanks much :)

Crazy1

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Inland Empire, CA
Welcome to the forum.
I would not recommend calci-sand as it can cause impactions. You can use dirt with play sand mix, Coco fiber and play sand mix or shredded aspen. you can also ring around her water with rocks which will help keep the dirt from going into her water. What is the age (adult, yearling, hatchling?) of your Russian and whats its name?

babascots

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
She is about a year and a half, and her name is Harriot.

Jentortmom

10 Year Member!
Arizona
I have to change water bowls all the time, but as Robyn said if you put some rocks around the water bowl that will help keep it cleaner. No matter what substrate you use it will always end up in the water. You could also try a paint tray.

Itort

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Iowa
I have to give the pet shop credit for putting the animal's welfare ahead of the sale. I'd take Robyn's advice.

Status
Not open for further replies.