Tortoise Newbie

Nebb

Location (City and/or State)
North Port
Hello everyone,

I am a new Mommy to a baby yellow footed tortoise, I have had a few different reptiles over the years iguanas, bearded dragons and ball pythons. I'm new to the tortoise world I would like some advice on some husbandry.

As he or she gets larger I would eventually like to have an outside enclosure for better sun exposure and just a more natural habitat. I live in Southwest Florida so humidity and warm weather are not a big problem, we do have some nights in the winter time that will dip down cold so I do need to have a shelter of some sort of anyshelter and warmth. Any advice that someone could give me on how to get started on the new enclosure would be appreciated. In the meantime my little one is in a indoor enclosure.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Welcome to the Forum! We have a couple good care sheets for redfooted tortoises, and the yellowfooted tortoises take basically the same care. You can find them pinned towards the top of our Redfoot section.

Ray--Opo

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Palm Bay Fl
I am not sure about yellow foot's. But my sulcata couldn't go outside fulltime till he was about 2 years old.

TammyJ

5 Year Member
Jamaica
Welcome and we look forward to seeing some pics of your tortoise and his enclosure/environment! South Florida is good. Mostly. I'm in Jamaica in the Caribbean and 60F is COLD to us here! That is our "winter"weather!