Tortoise mouth is pinkish

Sarahsaur

I rescued Willie a few weeks ago and took him to the vet two days after we got him and she believed that he had a case of mouth rot, along with a respiratory infection. Long story short, we did a round of Baytril and he is doing much better, he has gained quite a bit of weight and is eating great. My concern is that yesterday, I noticed his lower jaw looked kind of pinkish white, like his skin had peeled off or something. I'm just wondering if it is any cause for concern? He is still eating pretty good and drinking. I'm keeping his enclosure very clean and cleaning his food and water dishes daily. Any ideas? williemouth1.jpg

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Clovis, CA
It just looks like he's been eating off a rough surface and has rubbed off the thin layer of skin.

Sarahsaur

I feed him on a clay saucer, i will find something else to feed him on and see if that helps. Thank you Yvonne! :)

Aunt Caffy

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Texas
I rescued Willie a few weeks ago and took him to the vet two days after we got him and she believed that he had a case of mouth rot, along with a respiratory infection. Long story short, we did a round of Baytril and he is doing much better, he has gained quite a bit of weight and is eating great. My concern is that yesterday, I noticed his lower jaw looked kind of pinkish white, like his skin had peeled off or something. I'm just wondering if it is any cause for concern? He is still eating pretty good and drinking. I'm keeping his enclosure very clean and cleaning his food and water dishes daily. Any ideas? View attachment 179800
He's precious!

Gillian M

5 Year Member
Jordan
I rescued Willie a few weeks ago and took him to the vet two days after we got him and she believed that he had a case of mouth rot, along with a respiratory infection. Long story short, we did a round of Baytril and he is doing much better, he has gained quite a bit of weight and is eating great. My concern is that yesterday, I noticed his lower jaw looked kind of pinkish white, like his skin had peeled off or something. I'm just wondering if it is any cause for concern? He is still eating pretty good and drinking. I'm keeping his enclosure very clean and cleaning his food and water dishes daily. Any ideas? View attachment 179800

A very warm welcome to the forum!:D

Sorry to have just read about your tort's jaw.:( Hope to hear he recovers soon and please keep us updated. Am no expert, but I think that @Yvonne G is right. How about posting a pic of his enclosure? Do you give him daily soaks in warm water? ;)

Tidgy's Dad

5 Year Member
Fes, Morocco
You mention the poor fellow had mouth rot.
Well maybe this is part of the healing process, new skin growing under the old.

Sarahsaur

Yes sorry I haven't updated but the skin is growing back now and he eats like a machine! I looked at pics from when we first rescued him and that area was a sort of reddish brown. The vet I took him to said it was likely mouth rot. It's healing up nicely and we do soak him daily :)
20160721_202534.jpg

Gillian M

5 Year Member
Jordan
Yes sorry I haven't updated but the skin is growing back now and he eats like a machine! I looked at pics from when we first rescued him and that area was a sort of reddish brown. The vet I took him to said it was likely mouth rot. It's healing up nicely and we do soak him daily :)
View attachment 182917
Oh, he's gorgeous!

Glad to hear he's better.

Pearly

5 Year Member
Central Texas, Austin area
Love that face!!! Glad to hear he's better

Kasia

Poland
View attachment 182917
Soooo cute:D