tortoise medical insurance

Jessica Yue

Location (City and/or State)
Fremont, CA
Are there any recommended tortoise medical insurance? Or you just pay out of pocket? I got an old tortoise (believed 40-50 years old) and it may need to go to vet regularly. Just want to know how we usually do the medical stuff for the tortoise

Maro2Bear

5 Year Member
Glenn Dale, Maryland, USA
Just curious. Have you had this guy that many years, or it’s a new tort to you? If the latter. Plenty of water, soakings, good healthy food variety, augmented with a good tortoise chow (like Mazuri), cuttlebone, and a nice safe well-heated (as needed) night box (if kept outside). Good lighting - especially sunlight too. I think with all the right components, your tort doesnt really require vet visits. Good luck.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Are there any recommended tortoise medical insurance? Or you just pay out of pocket? I got an old tortoise (believed 40-50 years old) and it may need to go to vet regularly. Just want to know how we usually do the medical stuff for the tortoise
If housed correctly they should ever need medical attention. 40-50 years old is not old for a tortoise, and there shouldn't be any health issues that are age related.

I think pet health insurance is around $50 per month now. If you've got the money to spend, I don't think it will hurt anything, but I spend zero dollars annually on vet bills with 27 adults of various species and countless babies hatching all the time.

What species do you have and how do you know the age? Is there any problem currently?

Blackdog1714

5 Year Member
Richmond, VA
I have it on my 3 dogs, but not on my cat or 2 tortoises. The dogs are high activity and with joints so the chance for injury is greater. ON a tort low speed means fewer if no accidents