TORTOISE MANIAC THREAD

Status
Not open for further replies.

bigred

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Southern California
torti said:
When my neighbors think I'm crazy just standing outside and staring at the grass (I have dogs in my backyard, and they still haven't figured out I have hatchlings).

And the looks they give me every morning at the same time when I'm out picking weeds off my front lawn.

Ya I do the weed thing in the front yard early in the morning to. Im sure my neighbors are wondering what the Heck Im doing.

JoesMum

10 Year Member!
Kent, South East England
ALDABRAMAN said:
:D When the first thing your friends ask is how are the torotises!
This happens to me! "How's Joe?" comes before enquiries about my family! :redface:

We have a patch of grass at the end of our road that is mowed every couple of months by the council and otherwise ignored... The dandelions and plantain are healthy and plentiful - no chemicals as the council has an organic policy (i.e. Doesn't want to spend any money)

I really don't know what the people down that end think of the mad woman who's out picking stuff at 6:15am in all weathers before she's fed any of the family :D

ALDABRAMAN

KEEPER AT HEART
10 Year Member!
SW Forida
:shy: You never schedule a vacation during egg laying season!

GeoTerraTestudo

5 Year Member
Broomfield, Colorado
If people catch you watching the bushes and stop to ask if you've lost something. ;)

Actually, for those of you who imagine your neighbors must think you're weird for staring at your lawn: just bring your torties outside to feed for themselves at least a few times. Not only will that be a nice outing for your torts, but it will also show your neighbors why you're picking weeds, and might even be a good conversation starter to boot.

That's what I do. If people ask if there's something wrong, I just show them the tortoises. They always find them very interesting!

ShadowRancher

10 Year Member!
Columbia, SC
GeoTerraTestudo said:
If people catch you watching the bushes and stop to ask if you've lost something. ;)

Actually, for those of you who imagine your neighbors must think you're weird for staring at your lawn: just bring your torties outside to feed for themselves at least a few times. Not only will that be a nice outing for your torts, but it will also show your neighbors why you're picking weeds, and might even be a good conversation starter to boot.

That's what I do. If people ask if there's something wrong, I just show them the tortoises. They always find them very interesting!

I try! But he's so tiny he can't be seen from a distance and a few of them have started giving me a wide berth :D my upstairs neighbors and a girl one building over know what's up and love him but that's all that I've been able to entice over without just running at people tort in hand ;)

When you leave a party early because you are suddenly incredibly paranoid your tort has flipped and no one is home (true story from this weekend)

jkingler

5 Year Member
If you pick weeds and dumpster dive, and you are neither a landscaper nor homeless.

dmarcus

5 Year Member
Las Vegas, NV
:D When you spend time thinking of ways to sneak an extra tortoise into the collection with out getting caught by your other half...

CGKeith

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Arizona
dmarcus said:
:D When you spend time thinking of ways to sneak an extra tortoise into the collection with out getting caught by your other half...

Yep, it's called trading. I bet there are some others members here that have said this....

"I'm just going to trade this one that I was going to hold back and keep anyway. So I'm not really adding another mouth to feed." ;)

TonkaLuv

5 Year Member
Virginia
When your husband is awakened from his nap by your baby red foot biting his thumb! :-D

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
When you keep trying over and over to convince someone to send you their tortoise, even though they never do:(

jkingler

5 Year Member
When you have your tortoise breeder on speed dial or in your cell's phone book.

Status
Not open for further replies.