Tortoise loves herbs?!

dawsonpan

Location (City and/or State)
CA
So I noticed that my leopard loves to eat herbs of all kinds. Is this common for some tortoises because hear most don't even try it because of its strong scents. Whenever I offer some not a single leaf or stem is left. Especially basil and oregano flowers. I have heard some tortoises eat a lot of herbs when they have parasites which I doubt he does have. But granted he has an excellent appetite for whatever is offered him ? Any ideas and is it safe to feed? Thanks!

ArmadilloPup

NE Oklahoma
Totally fine! A lot of herbs are in the sage family, which is safe for tortoises. I use dried dandelion and mint for myself, and so I offer it to my pets as a treat too. The guinea pig is a lot more excited about it than my tortoise ?

Here's a great resource on what plants are safe to feed:

RosemaryDW

5 Year Member
Newport Coast, CA
Ha, I just replied to your other post on sage. If your tortoise will eat herbs then by all means go for it. I can’t think offhand of any that are unsafe. Any of the tough leaved ones (oregano for sure) are full of fiber!

My Russian would just about eat rocks (for all I know she does) but herbs are a big NOPE for her.

Please note the Tortoise Table is intended largely for owners in the U.K. so you will not find evaluations for quite a few plants that grow here in North America. Certainly not any part of California that is dry and/or scrubby. If you don’t get a hit there I would encourage you to do a search on this forum for the plant to see whether there is feedback from other owners here.

dawsonpan

CA
Totally fine! A lot of herbs are in the sage family, which is safe for tortoises. I use dried dandelion and mint for myself, and so I offer it to my pets as a treat too. The guinea pig is a lot more excited about it than my tortoise ?

Here's a great resource on what plants are safe to feed:
Oh wow, I didn't know that. As long as its safe you know. Pretty cool. Thanks!!! :)

dawsonpan

CA
Ha, I just replied to your other post on sage. If your tortoise will eat herbs then by all means go for it. I can’t think offhand of any that are unsafe. Any of the tough leaved ones (oregano for sure) are full of fiber!

My Russian would just about eat rocks (for all I know she does) but herbs are a big NOPE for her.

Please note the Tortoise Table is intended largely for owners in the U.K. so you will not find evaluations for quite a few plants that grow here in North America. Certainly not any part of California that is dry and/or scrubby. If you don’t get a hit there I would encourage you to do a search on this forum for the plant to see whether there is feedback from other owners here.
Yessss and thank you so so much for that detailed reply. ?? It was tremendously helpful. That's definitely true, I was feeling hopeful that it has the slight possibility of being included on the Tortoise Table lol.

That's great to know! I'll feed it to them more often knowing its safe.