Tortoise lighting confirmation

Tort1419

Here is my tortoise enclosure, for a Russian tortoise. We didn't find anything big enough regarding book shelves, so we decided to have someone build a custom one. Here it is. It can be disassembled into three parts. Now here is what I'm thinking for lighting. I'll have three lights total. A MVB on one end of the enclosure. Then I will have two UV strip lights. I will have the strip lights in a holder touching the wired pattern. And for the MVB the ceramic holder will touch the wired part but the bulb won't. So what do you guys think about this lighting idea. Is it too much, not enough. Please let me know

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    64.5 KB · Views: 47

Carol S

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Alta Loma, CA
Very nice! I would buy a ZooMed LARGE Deep Dome light fixture for the MVB. I like it because the MBV bulb is recessed into the light fixture and protects the bulb. Petmountain.com and Amazon.com usually has the best price.

Since the enclosure is so large if it was mine I would use 1 strip, 1 basking bulb (probably 50 watt) and 1 MVB.

Jodie

5 Year Member
Spokane Valley WA
Very nice! Your tortoise is going to love this. The strip light don't put out heat. The temp in the room is going to dictate your light needs and placement.

Lyn W

5 Year Member
UK
Very nice! I would buy a ZooMed LARGE Deep Dome light fixture for the MVB. I like it because the MBV bulb is recessed into the light fixture and protects the bulb. Petmountain.com and Amazon.com usually has the best price.

Since the enclosure is so large if it was mine I would use 1 strip, 1 basking bulb (probably 50 watt) and 1 MVB.
I have heard that the deep domes cause them to overheat and burn out more quickly but maybe there more than one type

Lyn W

5 Year Member
UK
Here is my tortoise enclosure, for a Russian tortoise. We didn't find anything big enough regarding book shelves, so we decided to have someone build a custom one. Here it is. It can be disassembled into three parts. Now here is what I'm thinking for lighting. I'll have three lights total. A MVB on one end of the enclosure. Then I will have two UV strip lights. I will have the strip lights in a holder touching the wired pattern. And for the MVB the ceramic holder will touch the wired part but the bulb won't. So what do you guys think about this lighting idea. Is it too much, not enough. Please let me know
I wonder if you have the MVB do you need two strip lights as well or maybe just MVB + basking?
I and a some others here only use the MVB because it has light heat and UV rays all in one - very easy! I don't think you do but wait and see what more experienced folks say.
Maybe you could use a CHE on a thermostat for night heat near hide (no light as torts need darkness to sleep) also use in the day for extra heat if colder.
Very nice table - will you cover part with plexiglass to help keep humidity in?

Careym13

5 Year Member
Northern Virginia
I have heard that the deep domes cause them to overheat and burn out more quickly but maybe there more than one type
I have the deep dome fixture made by Zoo Med for my Powersun. They say it is made specifically for the Powersun bulb. BUT....my bulb did die after 6 months. They replaced it, but I don't know if the deep dome fixture had anything to do with the shortened life span or not.

Lyn W

5 Year Member
UK
I have the deep dome fixture made by Zoo Med for my Powersun. They say it is made specifically for the Powersun bulb. BUT....my bulb did die after 6 months. They replaced it, but I don't know if the deep dome fixture had anything to do with the shortened life span or not.
I've not used a deep dome myself and there may be diff sorts, but definitely read they could trap heat too much. Hopefully someone wiser will come along with their views.

Careym13

5 Year Member
Northern Virginia
I've not used a deep dome myself and there may be diff sorts, but definitely read they could trap heat too much. Hopefully someone wiser will come along with their views.
I actually hadn't heard that they can shorten bulb lifespan...so I'm glad you brought it up. If it happens with the new one then I'll have see what Zoo Med has to say about the matter.

leigti

5 Year Member
southeast Washington
As far as the deep domes go, I would suggest going to the feed store or hardware store and getting one of the fixtures there. They cost $10 and are 11 1/2 inches wide.ImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1438050797.700643.jpg
I would put the MVB in the middle section. Then I would put UVB long tube fluorescent on either end with a heat bulb on one of those ends. Or MVB on one and section, then a strip light and heat bulb on the next section then just a strip light on the last section. No heat at night.
Of course all of this depends on the temperature of your house etc. I think covering much of it with plexiglass would also be a good idea. You might not need nearly as much heat as you think you're going to. Get a trusty little temperature gun and tested out with different scenarios. There's no problem with the fixtures laying right on the wire as long as the bulb doesn't touch the wire. I think this is a very nice enclosure.

leigti

5 Year Member
southeast Washington
OK, I saw your other post and you said it is 7 1/2 feet on each side by 2 1/2 feet. How deep is it? I asked that because it's important to know how far the bulb will be from the top of your tortoise. This will determine what wattage of the bulbs you get and maybe the kind also. I personally think it is important that the enclosure is nice and bright during the day. You can put in plants etc. so the tortoise can get out of the light caves things like that but overall it should be pretty bright. Think about how bright it is outdoors during the day even on a cloudy day. But not all the lights have to be UVB. You have to consider how much substrate you're going to put in. I wouldn't go less than 4 to 6 inches with Russians. They love to dig. But you can make little rolling hills in the substrate because they also like to walk up and down and climb over things. Putting in the furniture is the fun part :) You will have to waterproof it.
It all starts to sound a little overwhelming at first but once you get the basics in their right it's very easy.

johnsonnboswell

5 Year Member
What do you mean by water proof it
Water proof it. The substrate should be fairly deep and it should hold moisture. You don't want the wood to rot from the moisture. Waterproof by lining it with a shower curtain or pond liner or vinyl, or polyurethane or marine paint.

WillTort2

5 Year Member
I find that the vinyl floor covering last quite long and can be run up the sides to provide a sealed basin like design for holding moisture. To make your corners you may need to soften the vinyl by heating it with a hair dryer when installing it.

I like the idea of having a tube light and the MVB power sun. From what I have experienced and read the uv output is better for a longer period of time with the tubular light. After about 90 days some of the keepers have noticed a significant drop in uv output with the power sun. I still like having the power sun because the heat will draw the tortoise to it for basking warmth.

I place the tube light about a foot away from my MVB so when basking or napping in the comfort zone at the edge of the MVB light cone the tort has the opportunity to absorb the uv from the tube light. I also have the cool end of my enclosures somewhat darker to allow the tort to get away form the lights.

Good luck.