Tortoise lifespan

Status
Not open for further replies.

rocky1998

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Scotland
I have just remembered that with the right care your tortoise can live for a VERY long time .. But I want to know how long precisely ... Their both Russian torts and 1-2 years old... I think.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    670.6 KB · Views: 145

JoesMum

10 Year Member!
Kent, South East England
Your tort should live for at least 50 years... could be 100. We have had Joe, a Greek close cousin of your Russians, for 43 years now and estimate that he is around 50 years of age. We expect him to go on for the next 50.

Torts are pets for your life and that of your children. I wish more people were aware when they get them as pets.

The long lifespan did make lifetime registration of Joe's microchip seem like a bargain though. They factor the cost on the average life of a cat or dog :D

tiff3grl

10 Year Member!
Arizona
I didn't know you could get your tortoise micro chipped. Good to know.

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using TortForum mobile app

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
No one knows. Our grandchildren's grandchildren won't know. There have been several turtles and tortoise recorded and verified at more than 200 years old. Some were nearly 300, and all of these were wild caught adults when the clock was started on them, so who knows how old they were or what parasites they may have been carrying when that 280 year timer started. Also these older recorded tortoise did not die of natural causes. One was hit by a car. Another fell out of a cannon port and died on the rocks below. One is still alive in Great Britain.

With today's captive breeding and known hatch dates, along with our computer's ability to store data, we might be able to develop some averages over the next few hundred years. Until then anyone with an answer is just guessing.

cally

5 Year Member
How do they get microchipped?? Thats really awesome to kno!!

Cally- Russian Tort <3

alysciaingram

5 Year Member
Florida
They place a small chip in the torts thigh area. It doesn't seem to bother mine at all. It's places in an area where the torts can grow with it. I got mine done for only $40.

cally

5 Year Member
Where did u go to get it done?

Cally- Russian Tort <3

alysciaingram

5 Year Member
Florida
Same here, exotic vet. Once my other three get big enough they'll go get chipped also.

rocky1998

5 Year Member
Scotland
I find these exotic vets really quite hard to find. , there is only one exotic reptile vet in the whole of Glasgow .. What age should I get these babies microchipped?

JoesMum

10 Year Member!
Kent, South East England
As with all things tort, the guideline is size and not age. Captive bred torts cannot get an A10 in the UK until they reach 100mm (4 inches) and that is a good guideline size for microchipping.

If you have bought a tort in the UK with an A10, it will already be microchipped.

Spn785

5 Year Member
Mid-Missouri
A friend of mine claimed his Russian was around 125 when it died, not sure about that, but it is within reason.

Status
Not open for further replies.