Tortoise Legs

Len B

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Southern Md - Northern Neck Va
This is a picture of my 25 year sulcatas front right leg. If and when he ever had to close up for protection for any reason I think he would be pretty safeWalkers right front leg.jpgI'm going to try and get some good pics of some of my other tortoises legs for comparison. Would like to see some from other types of tortoise legs because I only have 3.

TaylorTortoise

Abington
This is a picture of my 25 year sulcatas front right leg. If and when he ever had to close up for protection for any reason I think he would be pretty safeView attachment 329020I'm going to try and get some good pics of some of my other tortoises legs for comparison. Would like to see some from other types of tortoise legs because I only have 3.
This is an odd post that I have never seen before. What do you mean by the legs?

Krista S

Platinum Tortoise Club
Saskatchewan
This is a picture of my 25 year sulcatas front right leg. If and when he ever had to close up for protection for any reason I think he would be pretty safeView attachment 329020I'm going to try and get some good pics of some of my other tortoises legs for comparison. Would like to see some from other types of tortoise legs because I only have 3.
WOW! That’s really something to see. You’re right, he can protect himself pretty well with those big, thick scales as part of his armour. I’m glad you posted this and I hope others will too. The only thing I have to compare to, is my little 2 year old Hermann’s tortoise lol. Not much for armour on his little legs. lol

Edit: Just out of curiosity, what do the edges of those big leg scales (not sure if that’s the right word for them) feel like? Are they sharp at all?

Len B

10 Year Member!
all turtles use their shell, limbs for protection.
This is not true in my opinion. The Pancake tortoise has no real protection with shell or legs.Their best form of protection is swelling up in a tight area such as wedging in between rocks so they cant be removed.

TaylorTortoise

Abington
This is not true in my opinion. The Pancake tortoise has no real protection with shell or legs.Their best form of protection is swelling up in a tight area such as wedging in between rocks so they cant be removed.
Well every animal has protection towards predators. Some not so much as others but most torts have scales for protection

Len B

10 Year Member!
WOW! That’s really something to see. You’re right, he can protect himself pretty well with those big, thick scales as part of his armour. I’m glad you posted this and I hope others will too. The only thing I have to compare to, is my little 2 year old Hermann’s tortoise lol. Not much for armour on his little legs. lol

Edit: Just out of curiosity, what do the edges of those big leg scales (not sure if that’s the right word for them) feel like? Are they sharp at all?
That's true for most 2 year old tortoises. I have 2 young hermanns one will be 2 next month and the other in November.

Len B

10 Year Member!
He a picture of Sammy, 3 1/2 yrs old. He don't dig vary much. His shales are very sharp.
Sammy is Beautiful. Walker has never tried to dig, his house is his burrow. Today his house stayed cooler than the outside air temps. Got to 93F in the shade. All 3 of the females I had were diggers.

KarenSoCal

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Low desert 50 mi SE of Palm Springs CA
Here's a sexy leg for sure! He looks like he's stepping out to dance!
He's a 3 year old Burmese Star, very impressed with himself, but a gentleman. The points on the ends of the scales are rather sharp. And it's hard to see in the photo, but his skin is quite yellow. I'm not sure if that adds to, or detracts from, his attempts to look ferocious.
20210410_182717.jpg

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
This is an odd post that I have never seen before. What do you mean by the legs?
When a sulcata, like Walker, is being bothered by a lion, he pulls in his head then plugs the space with his front legs, so all that shows is those huge front leg spurs.

vairmoose

Huntsville, AL
Awesome protection there. A bit difficult to tell from the picture but how big is he?
We have a 2 1/2 year old sulcatus that is right at 18 lbs and are trying to figure out what we need to do going forward.

Len B

10 Year Member!
Awesome protection there. A bit difficult to tell from the picture but how big is he?
We have a 2 1/2 year old sulcatus that is right at 18 lbs and are trying to figure out what we need to do going forward.
I weighed him this afternoon and he hit the 25 pound mark. He will be 2 the first week of August.Pictur 001.jpg Took this pic a couple days agoPictur 009.jpg I haven't measured him for a while but that tile he's eating on is a 16 inch tile. One important thing to think about is to think big and powerful because that's what they become in time. His daddy Walker is 150 pounds.. Also try to grow as much food yourself as you have room for.