Tortoise leash and outfits?

Trisha0023

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Il
Silly question maybe. I had seen someone with a tortoise leash that clips around their shell. Anyone know where I can get one? Just for exploring outside without losing him. Also I keep seeing outfits for them. Like a stegosaurs and such anyone have them or make them?

leigti

5 Year Member
southeast Washington
I have not seen a tortoise leash. But I have seen people that tie balloons to them or one person used a big rubber band and connected a little orange safety code to the tortoise. I would be a little afraid that they would get tangled in the leash.

Trisha0023

5 Year Member
Il
Thanks. I'm sure my daughter would always be holding the leash:) balloon is a good idea!

jaizei

Unknown Member
10 Year Member!
Earth

Gillian M

5 Year Member
Jordan
I have not seen a tortoise leash. But I have seen people that tie balloons to them or one person used a big rubber band and connected a little orange safety code to the tortoise. I would be a little afraid that they would get tangled in the leash.
Wouldn't it hurt the tortoise? I'd be to scared to do it.When I take my tort out for 'a walk' I follow it literally step by step!

johnsonnboswell

5 Year Member
Walking where? The sidewalk is not suitable. No leash attachment is truly secure. In plain sight under constant supervision, that's okay for a short while. But a tortoise walks quickly for a few minutes, finds shelter and stays there for a long time. If you stop watching, it can disappear.

Tortoises do not want to walk on leashes. They don't want guidance. A leash may seem like a fun idea, but not to a tortoise. It can't replace a secure outdoor habitat.

You can try it, but it's not a long term solution for exercise & outdoor time. I did the balloon on a rubber band and supervised outdoor time routine before my habitats were built. It was frustrating, anxiety producing, and boring; and they didn't get nearly enough outdoor time.

Len B

10 Year Member!
Southern Md - Northern Neck Va
A while back there was a member that where he/she lived had a local ordinance that stated all pets had to be leashed,when in a public area (yes even torts) as I remember it. I believe another member made leash's that worked and would make the tortoise walking in public legal. But I can't remember the who, what, where, or when, this was posted. I know this is silly but I have seen dumber laws, ordinances, rules, etc, pertaining to animals, and they keep coming up w2ith more.

leigti

5 Year Member
southeast Washington
There are some stupid laws in this country that's for sure. I transport my tortoise in a 3 gallon Rubbermaid bin to take her to the vet. I wouldn't take my tortoise to a park because of possible chemicals. Also you don't know when an unleashed dog could come up and grab your tortoise. That may sound far-fetched so to speak well that was a bad pun, anyway but it actually happens to me. I had my tortoise out on the front porch getting some sun and this pitbull all of a sudden came running up. I grabbed my tortoise and kicked the dog in the head. I love animals but not when they are going after my animals. So now my tortoise is never out front, always in the backyard behind a 6 foot fence.

Lyn W

5 Year Member
UK
Don't want to be a party pooper but I'm afraid dressing any animal up leaves me cold - but each to their own. I would be too worried to walk mine in a public place too in case the grass may have parasites from dog/cat or other animal faeces that could make torts sick.

ZEROPILOT

REDFOOT WRANGLER
Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
South Eastern Florida (U.S.A.)/Rock Hill S.C.
I'm not as against this as most "guys" might be and I'll tell you why...Anytime I let any of my Redfoot loose in the yard they take two steps and become invisible!
And they are large.
An orange cone might be good. Not a sweater and boots, though...

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
It seems to me to be one of those things that's sweet and cute for people, but of no particular benefit to the tortoise.

Well said and I agree.

Dressing up a tortoise and having this sort of "fun" may have one hidden benefit that we are all missing though. The more a person loves their animal the better care that animal can expect to get. So if Trisha finds herself more endeared to her tortoise because she can dress it up and take it for a walk, then I see no harm in it, as long as she's careful with where she does it for all the above stated safety reasons.

This is not how I choose to "enjoy" my tortoises, but if someone else likes it and they are using some caution and common sense, I'm not opposed to the idea.

Kapidolo Farms

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
South of Southern California, but not Mexico
We humuliate our dogs and cats like this, must we also do to them? :)
I can only use the like button once with your comment. Like like like like like like like like like like like like like like like like like like like like like like like like like like like like like like like like like like like like like like like like like like like like like like like like like like like like like like like like like like like like like like like like so here are few more.

http://www.tortoiseforum.org/threads/lets-play-barbie.83088/

It's not a 'silly" question. It's a really good question. It reflects your projection so well.

Gillian M

5 Year Member
Jordan
Walking where? The sidewalk is not suitable. No leash attachment is truly secure. In plain sight under constant supervision, that's okay for a short while. But a tortoise walks quickly for a few minutes, finds shelter and stays there for a long time. If you stop watching, it can disappear.

Tortoises do not want to walk on leashes. They don't want guidance. A leash may seem like a fun idea, but not to a tortoise. It can't replace a secure outdoor habitat.

You can try it, but it's not a long term solution for exercise & outdoor time. I did the balloon on a rubber band and supervised outdoor time routine before my habitats were built. It was frustrating, anxiety producing, and boring; and they didn't get nearly enough outdoor time.
Thanks very much your advice which I appreciate.

TortoiseTops

Anaheim Hills, CA
Silly question maybe. I had seen someone with a tortoise leash that clips around their shell. Anyone know where I can get one? Just for exploring outside without losing him. Also I keep seeing outfits for them. Like a stegosaurs and such anyone have them or make them?
I make and sell tortoise clothes to help keep them warm and keep an eye on them when outside grazing and exercising And it's just fun! You can contact me if you are interested. I make all colors and sizes. image.jpegimage.jpegimage.jpeg

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    847.8 KB · Views: 35

DutchieAmanda

5 Year Member
Netherlands