Tortoise is odd

Nicholas999

Location (City and/or State)
Sutton Surrey
Not so much a problem more just curious I have a hermanns tortoise male called Larry had him for bout 2 and half years and he is always in the corner of his tank or room just scratching at it always walks into a wall and then just keeps walking not sure why he perfectly healthy eats loads he good size I get him out regularly and even when he has the whole house to roam in he will find a corner and just crawl there banging into wall for hours on end anyone else have this problem or is Larry just nuts

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
That's what they do. Maybe your enclosure is too small??? Digging at the corners is quite normal, and goes away somewhat when they are a little more comfortable in their surroundings. Big enough. . . feels safe. . . lots of cover. . . a couple hiding places. . . etc

Henrym1111

Florida
Not so much a problem more just curious I have a hermanns tortoise male called Larry had him for bout 2 and half years and he is always in the corner of his tank or room just scratching at it always walks into a wall and then just keeps walking not sure why he perfectly healthy eats loads he good size I get him out regularly and even when he has the whole house to roam in he will find a corner and just crawl there banging into wall for hours on end anyone else have this problem or is Larry just nuts
Probably just wants to burrow, if you have a yard, let him roam around outside a little bit.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Here are some possibilities to consider:
  1. Enclosure is too small.
  2. Enclosure is too barren with not enough hiding areas.
  3. Lights are too harsh. Are you using a cfl for UV?
  4. Temperatures too hot?
  5. Not enough substrate to dig in to?
  6. Wrong substrate?
  7. Overly dry substrate?
  8. Trying to avoid a cage mate?

Bambam1989

East Texas
I believe a couple of pictures of the enclosure would help us identify any possible issues as well as knowing your temps and humidity.

Big Charlie

5 Year Member
California
Don't let your tortoise roam your house. It is dangerous. If your tortoise's enclosure is big enough for him, he shouldn't need to be let loose in the house. Outdoors, weather permitting, is good.

Also tortoises don't like wide open spaces. They are scary. Your tortoise is trying to find a place to hide. For a tortoise, getting as close as possible to a corner is the best alternative if there isn't any cover.

Tidgy's Dad

5 Year Member
Fes, Morocco
Hello, and a very warm welcome to Tortoise Forum.
Roaming the floor is dangerous, you can't control temperatures or draughts, objects can be ingested, even dust bunnies can be dangerous and accidents can, and do, happen too easily.
A picture of the enclosure would be helpful.