Not open for further replies.

kanalomele

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
East Bay area
ascott said:
It appears from this pic that the tortoise body itself may have been also injured, not the shell alone...there is alot of open wet wound there.....I would be sure that this tort is restricted to an entirely sterile environment (no substrate, no dirt material at all) I would use a really thick soft layering of clean white paper towels or white cotton t shirt folded over until soft...I would place the tortoise in an area that you can keep quiet, out of foot traffic and in a place that you can kinda keep in dim lighting (I would obtain a che and or black heat light, no bright lights right now) and be sure that you can maintain a constant heat of no less than 85 degrees...I would not soak the tort, but I would flush the wound sites with tepid water (you can do this with either a spray bottle mist setting or a squeeze bottle)...I would plan to do this about 4 to five times per day for a week to begin with...be slow and gentle and slow slow slow movement around this little one...remember, he literally was in the jaws of death and he knows it....

Do you have a well known tortoise specific vet near you? If you do, then I would try to contact that office and see if their doctor can accept emailed pics of the damage (I would hesitate to cause additional stress to the tort by tossing him into a box then into the car) to see if you can get their instruction and to also get a high grade antibiotic that a doctor can prescribe....

Where are you located in the world? Perhaps a versed Forum member will be near you to offer you hands on aid?

I am near to her and have been doing my best to offer solid advice. Fortunately she is near to one of my favorite exotic vets who works with some other exotic rescues in that area. I trust them fully with this type of injury, they see them often. We have been communicating daily and Im confident this sweet baby will have the very best chance to survive that we can give it.

Ruchonnet

5 Year Member
Central Valley, CA
Heres another picture of him from today. The doctor said he needs to be soaked at an angle so his head isn't in it

Attachments

• 1375592390485.jpg
    1375592390485.jpg
    58.7 KB · Views: 107

lizbeth490

5 Year Member
Pembroke Pines
Wow! I'm so sorry this happened, but glad that everything is going well :) mine are diggers as well. Just a bit of advice, I used 4ft rebar hammered into the ground with 6inch spacing so they couldn't dig through the perimeter I gave them. I hope all stays well with your baby!

sibi

10 Year Member!
Florida, USA
Glad to see he's recovering. Just know that if he's ever attacked again in the same place, he may not survive it with that much shell destruction. They can stick their heads really deep, but at some point their heads and limbs are extremely vulnerable especially now.

Everytime I read a story like this I wonder if the owners ever realized the dangers of their dogs. You may realize this now, but you cannot let your dog be in the same spot as your tort--not even for a second! Now your dog has a taste of your tort. If given an opportunity, he'll do it again. Sorry to sound off like this, but I just get frustrated with people who have dogs and loses sight for even a second. That's why I ask new members to read Tom's thread below my name. If you hadn't read it, I suggest you read it now.

Ruchonnet

5 Year Member
Central Valley, CA
They weren't together he dug out of his enclosure.

sibi said:
Glad to see he's recovering. Just know that if he's ever attacked again in the same place, he may not survive it with that much shell destruction. They can stick their heads really deep, but at some point their heads and limbs are extremely vulnerable especially now.

Everytime I read a story like this I wonder if the owners ever realized the dangers of their dogs. You may realize this now, but you cannot let your dog be in the same spot as your tort--not even for a second! Now your dog has a taste of your tort. If given an opportunity, he'll do it again. Sorry to sound off like this, but I just get frustrated with people who have dogs and loses sight for even a second. That's why I ask new members to read Tom's thread below my name. If you hadn't read it, I suggest you read it now.

Ruchonnet

5 Year Member
Central Valley, CA
Update on the little guy, we went back to the vet today for a recheck and his antibiotic shot. He hasnt eaten anything so hes lost some weigh and the doctor thinks I should soak 3 times a day instead of twice a day

LeopardTortLover

5 Year Member
Manchester, UK
You could do that, but if he's drinking there might not be any need to stress him out further. Id leave him alone as much as you can to just let him chill and recover. Soaking 3 times a day might be very stressful. You could rinse the wound 3 times a day maybe.

LeopardTortLover

5 Year Member
Manchester, UK
Ahh that makes more sense then. Have you tried feeding juicy fruits just to get him eating something and getting liquid?

Ruchonnet

5 Year Member
Central Valley, CA
Ive tried strawberries since they're his favorite treat usually. But he didnt even eat that. I think I might try cactus since its his second favorite.

LeopardTortLover

5 Year Member
Manchester, UK
Did his head or mouth get injured by any chance? Such as his jaw? Any luck on eating yet? He might still be stressed but hopefully not in any pain.

Ruchonnet

5 Year Member
Central Valley, CA
No, his head is okay it seems but someone said his antibiotic shots could be making him not feel good so I guess ill just wait and see. I keep offering food so hopefully he will eat soon!

Rjhoop

5 Year Member
Western N.Y. on Lake Erie
Poor little guy! I didn't know it was the bottom too! Guess I missed that in the other pictures. Yeah I wouldn't be eating either!!

Ruchonnet

5 Year Member
Central Valley, CA
Another update... we went back to the vet today and they said he is making major improvements! They said hes no longer dehydrated and his wounds are healing on track. He's also gaining back the weight he lost!

LeopardTortLover

5 Year Member
Manchester, UK
I'm so pleased! Thank heavens your a good owner willing to put time, effort, and most likely funds into his recovery. He's a lucky tort.

*misskerrimoo*

5 Year Member
Aww, sweet baby... Im glad he's doing better. He's got a befuddled look on his face... Like he's saying "damn dog... DAMN DOG... I'm here, & I survived... But, DAMN DOG!" lol... He's saying that, or either trying to hide the fact he has gas, & hopes no one notices. ;D glad he's recovering!

MY BEAUTIFUL CHILDREN:

3.2.0 Cats (Neeko, Bootsie, Bean (Special Needs), Puff (Special needs), Pokie)
1.0.0 Dog (Sidney (Special needs))
2.0.0 Bearded Dragons (Lochey & Zane (Special needs))
2.1.0 Leopard Geckos (Hopper, Spanky-Butt (Special needs), Rumi)
0.0.1 Greek Tortoise Hatchling (Mookie-Boo - Ibera species)
0.0.2 Fire Bellied Toads (Ellie, Teddy)
0.0.1 Emporer Scorpion (Mr. Pickles)
1.0.0 Veiled Chameleon (Ziggy (Special needs))

Status
Not open for further replies.